• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to know. Should I adjust the fan speed too?! Think it is all the way up now ... should I lower it?
8e373aade06a5ffe2378c9e8ddd48b59.jpg
I turn the fan speed down to low speed. Also, I have the fan detached from the insert sitting about a half an inch in front of it. The room is roughly 15 x 20. I can get it well into the 80's. I'm surprised you didn't go with a freestanding stove. With such a big fireplace I would have infatuation a freestanding stove in there. Inserts can be a lot trickier than stoves. I'm also surprised toy don't have an automatic fan with that unit. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Beautiful house! Servants quarters ? Holy cow. Must be nice to be rich ;) I strongly suspect that it's your wood. Tell your husband to get some pallets. You can find them for free, cut or break them and try that wood in your stove. I had the same problem my first year and used pallet wood to bring the stove to temperature. Good luck, and patience , you will get it. Stick around and you might learn something here. Lots of very knowledgeable people here ( not me)

Thanks so much for your super quick response :) Will definitely take your advice on the smaller splits ... like I said in my post we have tried everything from smaller splits to large ones that took up the whole space! Today we ran it fully open, thinking if we did not choke down on the air at all it might improve.

I would think regardless of split size that if we kept a roaring fire going that it could heat 500sqft past 72 on a normal fall day?! The room that it is in has all new windows and the house for its age is well insulated.

Curious, how hot does the air feel that comes out of your blowers?

Good airflow, very warm to hot. The original fan unit rattled a lot. Crapped out last year. The replacement is whisper quiet. Installed it myself.

Read through the whole discussion. We have the Montpelier in a single story 1800 sq ft home. Outside temps have been down to 30 here and we have kept the whole house above 70 pretty easily.
The unit blows extremely warm air from the vents.
For what it's worth....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 186619
I turn the fan speed down to low speed. Also, I have the fan detached from the insert sitting about a half an inch in front of it. The room is roughly 15 x 20. I can get it well into the 80's. I'm surprised you didn't go with a freestanding stove. With such a big fireplace I would have infatuation a freestanding stove in there. Inserts can be a lot trickier than stoves. I'm also surprised toy don't have an automatic fan with that unit. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes! This is what everyone has said ... but no such luck of it even being over 65!

Here is an update: The Dealer was absolutely useless and gave us a lot of nonsensical responses (when bothering to respond to our calls + emails) and offered nothing tangible by way of assistance. Our Installer (who is FANTASTIC) came back and installed a damper ... he was really shocked/impressed at the draw the insert was getting because of the 40ft chimney. Even with the new damper closed and the insert damper closed and the fan set to low with a mix of 1 and 2 year aged hardwoods the flame is still too aggressive (our Installer is looking into other options) and with both of the pocket doors closed so that it is just the roughly 300sqft room without any other fireplaces and with 3 out of 4 windows being brand new ... the temp of the room is 62 (outside temp 26) but that is with the radiant heat kicking on and off all day.

Just as an experiment, I closed off the Dining Room and built a big fire in a fireplace and with in an hour or so the room was heated to 68. While the room with the insert was 62 after 4 hours.

We have tried kiln dried + 2 year + 1 year + 6 month + just cut down + pine ... every sort of wood. My driveway is like a Baskin Robins 32 flavors of wood.

I guess I have just accepted at this point that I have wasted $5000 on nothing ... sigh. How are their resale values?! Seriously at this point we have spent $2k on wood, $5k on this insert + install ... that would have heated this house with oil for 3 years at the current prices.

Beautiful house! Servants quarters ? Holy cow. Must be nice to be rich ;) I strongly suspect that it's your wood. Tell your husband to get some pallets. You can find them for free, cut or break them and try that wood in your stove. I had the same problem my first year and used pallet wood to bring the stove to temperature. Good luck, and patience , you will get it. Stick around and you might learn something here. Lots of very knowledgeable people here ( not me)

Thanks. lol. Certainly not rich ... bought the house in foreclosure and it is in need of a full restoration, which we are about a year and $75k into.

Looked into pallets but they are surprisingly hard to find around here. A neighbor suggested slab wood, there are some lumber mills in the area that sell it for cheap ... so I am going to try that.

A few points in this thread worked well for me

1. Run the fan slower and it actually makes the room hotter.
2. Moving the damper lever to the right does help. The trick is to watch the secondary burn tubes.

Try some Envi blocks. They burn a bit hotter.

Yes! This is what everyone has said ... but no such luck of it even being over 65!

Here is an update: The Dealer was absolutely useless and gave us a lot of nonsensical responses (when bothering to respond to our calls + emails) and offered nothing tangible by way of assistance. Our Installer (who is FANTASTIC) came back and installed a damper ... he was really shocked/impressed at the draw the insert was getting because of the 40ft chimney. Even with the new damper closed and the insert damper closed and the fan set to low with a mix of 1 and 2 year aged hardwoods the flame is still too aggressive (our Installer is looking into other options) and with both of the pocket doors closed so that it is just the roughly 300sqft room without any other fireplaces and with 3 out of 4 windows being brand new ... the temp of the room is 62 (outside temp 26) but that is with the radiant heat kicking on and off all day.

Just as an experiment, I closed off the Dining Room and built a big fire in a fireplace and with in an hour or so the room was heated to 68. While the room with the insert was 62 after 4 hours.

We have tried kiln dried + 2 year + 1 year + 6 month + just cut down + pine ... every sort of wood. My driveway is like a Baskin Robins 32 flavors of wood.

I guess I have just accepted at this point that I have wasted $5000 on nothing ... sigh. How are their resale values?! Seriously at this point we have spent $2k on wood, $5k on this insert + install ... that would have heated this house with oil for 3 years at the current prices.
Checking in with you guys....prettydarn cold tonight. The house you have is older. Beefing up the insulation could make a world of difference. Insulate around the sill plate in the basement, the basement ceiling, get some of that foam blow in around your window trim.....etc. I was having some of the same struggles you are. Tonight it is 16 degrees and 72 in the stove room, 65 upstairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.