Vermont Castings Radiance Model 2600 b-vent thermopile question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwh63

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2019
MA
this gas stove is used quite a lot in the heating season. i kill the pilot in April, restart in October. i believe thermopiles last about 5 years. i have been having big issues with any thermostat i have hooked up to it over the past few winters. last winter i swapped in the rocker switch and would just run its that way. tried again this fall, thermo has no effect. right now, neither does the rocker. thinking the thermopile is bad.

i am going to try screwing it up higher in case a lower part of the pile is still working. if not, i will swap it out. does this sound reasonable? are all thermopile created equal, or is this a specific part?

this gas stove is used quite a lot in the heating season. i kill the pilot in April, restart in October. i believe thermopiles last about 5 years. i have been having big issues with any thermostat i have hooked up to it over the past few winters. last winter i swapped in the rocker switch and would just run its that way. tried again this fall, thermo has no effect. right now, neither does the rocker. thinking the thermopile is bad.

i am going to try screwing it up higher in case a lower part of the pile is still working. if not, i will swap it out. does this sound reasonable? are all thermopile created equal, or is this a specific part?
Test the output of the thermopile before you try to change it. The problem could be in your switches or switch wiring.
Some appliances require a higher output from the thermopile(in these cases there are usually two thermopiles) but most will work with a standard one. I have bought them at Home Depot.

Never tested one, need to learn. Do have a multi meter.

Here is the layout. I guess thermocouple and pile are interchangeable terms.

81742737-8696-47A5-901C-6D3DAF1AB53A.jpeg 5E6C0F6D-5505-43EE-8F90-5729D5F18FD0.jpeg

Last edited:
Located the last thermocouple I replaced. Ordered through a stove shop. Receipt is dated 2013.

7D21A4F9-0C4C-4FB9-AE53-04F263D5449A.jpeg

So, tweaked the thermocouple. I think the main issue is it wasn’t in the pilot flame enough. Rocker switch turned it right on now. Have to hook up the thermostat later for testing. Is round mercury stats a good choice for millivolt? Was going to do a Nest, but the one I have around is not suited for it.

6AB4C243-27C9-4883-A839-15228E04B6DB.jpeg

Last edited: