Vermont Castings Radiance model 2600 b-vent thermostat issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwh63

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2019
MA
this is a related question to one concerning the thermocouple. this stove can be operated with either an on/off rocker switch, or with a thermostat (not both at the same time). i have it responding to the rocker, but cannot get the gas valve to respond to a thermostat (tried three so far). educated guesses as to why? should i try another millivolt thermostat wire?

Last edited:
Are all the t-stats the millivolt type? Have you tried jumping the t-stat wires together to make sure they are not compromised?

i've used these types before with the stove: mercury dial, battery powered digital. i don't imagine that the wiring goes bad , except for breakage. i'll try to get hold of some fresh wire section and test with that. i believe the wire currently being used was from the original install in '96.

jumping wires. is that just touching them to trip the valve manually? the valve is a shaw model 710-503.

and here is an example of a common occurance with the thermostat, and sometimes the rocker. i turned the stove off for a little while. went to turn it on with rocker, no action. used a wrench to tap under the valve body, and the gas went on.

update: again, let stove cool. put on rocker, nothing. tried to move thermocouple more into flame, nothing (couple body too hot to touch, so definitely getting the flame). tapped underside of valve body, opened up and gas flowed and ignited.