Vermont Castings radiance tripped off my co2 monitors.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mustangwagz

Feeling the Heat
Oct 5, 2014
Western PA
The other night as I was sitting in the porcelain throne, my wife walks down the steps and yells..”what smells hot??” I was going to make a joke but I avoided the opportunity and told her to look around. She Hollared back and said it was the stove and it smelled like gas..

Upon leaving the bathroom in a hurry, I was able to smell the gas undoubtably. When I approached the stove and sat In front of it to shut off the pilot light, the air blowing over the back of the stove was enough to make my eyes water. Assuming sulfur? It was about then the co2 monitors Alarmed me.
My assumption is something has to be cracked ? Anyone run Into this yet? The radiance is from like 95ish if that’s of any useful info..

you can use soapy water spray to try to locate a leak. in any case, i would book An appointment with a gas pro, no reason to risk life or property.

Reactions: mustangwagz
you can use soapy water spray to try to locate a leak. in any case, i would book An appointment with a gas pro, no reason to risk life or property.
Good idea. The unit has been shut down and torn apart. I’ll likely scrap it.

or is your venting system leaking or blocked?

or is your venting system leaking or blocked?
Venting system from stove to top of house is sealed and free of debris. Ran my scope up it from the wall inlet.

casting has to be cracked. Nothing else makes sense logically.

what model is it? propane or ng? direct or b-vent? i have a model 2600 propane b-vent. never had the symptom you are describing.

what model is it? propane or ng? direct or b-vent? i have a model 2600 propane b-vent. never had the symptom you are describing.
I have a NG B-vent.

i would shop an inspection service around with HVAC repair businesses. an hours labor could get it properly diagnosed.

i would shop an inspection service around with HVAC repair businesses. an hours labor could get it properly diagnosed.
Yessir 2600. I tore it apart. From what I can see..the sealant they used to seal the cast iron pieces together is what’s failing. It’s hard and brittle and falling apart. I got the ole girl ripped apart into like 10 pieces lol.

I’m gonna call my neighbors down the road who own a chimney shop.

ok, you certainly may be able to rebuild it. if you are intending to "scrap" it, let me know, there may be some extra parts i would like to have around. good luck.