Vermont Castings Vigilant l- A friend of a friend has one for 500.00 and says its like new. Can anyo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PHARO

Jan 26, 2009
midwest
Im looking to heat 1300 sq ft and am placing what ever stove I get on my hearth and running a new pipe. Currently there is a POS fireplace insert in my house. Is this a good deal and is this stove efficient or should I hold out for a better one. ANy infor would be great

The original Vigilant sold for less than that new. That does not mean the stove is not worth the money......

BUT, there are a number of models of this stove. Most do not easily fit into a fireplace. You'd need a tall opening to accept it, plus a good hearth. Then you have to deal with clearances, the chimney, etc. etc.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Vermont_Castings_Older_Stove_Models/

Has some spec sheet and a manual.
Better to do your research now......than later....or too late.

If it is truly in good shape, that is a fair price. I bought a used VC Defiant in 1988 for $400. and thought I got a good deal at the time. As to whether it is sufficient to heat your home, that depends on the amount of insulation, and airtightness of your home.

I haver been using a VC Vigilant for 8 years now . It came with the house and has glass doors. "The back part sits just inside a fireplace. I t rreally does throw a lot of heat once it gets going.

It's a good old heater. If the stove is truly "like new", inside and out (and pay attention to inside), then I'd offer $400.

If its truely one of the first vigilants, check out the fireback of the stove. The originals had a one piece fireback that they no longer offer. If its cracked, it needs to be replaced with a two piece fireback kit, which could run you a couple hundred bucks. You have to figure this stove could be 25 to 30 years old, and who knows how many people have burned this stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.