Vermont Castings Vigilant Thermostat Life Expectancy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Esuorcsi

Dec 29, 2017
Morrison, CO
The bimetallic spring has separated from the thermostat lever of my Vigilant stove. I tried to epoxy the spring onto the lever but it was not strong enough to last.

Is this a common problem? How long do the thermostats typically last? I don't want to shell out $45 for a new thermostat only to have the same problem a few years from now.

Thank you,
Chris

I wouldn't worry, thermostats can last for many many years. Is it the original one on there? If so it's at least 30 years old as Vigilants haven't been made since 1987. Well, the coal version has, but still. Go ahead get a new one.

Thanks for the reply. The stove is original to the house from 1976. I've been living with the broken thermostat for the 11 years I've been in the house. I don't know how long the current thermostat lasted, which is why I'm asking for other owners' experience. I think the Defiant uses the same thermostat. Have you ever needed to replace yours? If so, how long did your thermostat last?

The Vigilant thermos. is indeed the same as the Defiant I, btu different from the Defiant II and III. I've been running my Defiant for 13 years on the same thermos. since I rebuilt it, and I routinely see customers' stoves with them older than that that are still good.

my defiant was put in when the addition was put on in 1978 (i have the permit) and i moved in here in 2001 and i'm running the same tstat also. knock knock knock on wood

Thank you both for the help. I don't think my stove saw a whole lot of use before I took ownership, so perhaps it was operator error rather than a short life span that did this thermostat in. I will order a new thermostat. Do you have any dealers you recommend for OEM parts?