Vermont Castings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

notoVermontstove

Jan 19, 2017
Virginia
Created an account just so I can maybe help someone avoid buying a Vermont Castings. If you like them, great for you. I actually had a Encore 2550 given to me that I restored most of until it came to buying a refractory and firebacks. After reading these 3 parts just don't hold up in Vermont Casting stoves, many different models. To replace those parts will be around $500 at least. Then you better know what you're doing to install them and get a seal. My point, I've owned a few Buck stoves and others with no problems and would avoid any stove that can't last the test of time... but! they look nice. If you want a nice piece of room art, I'm selling a nice looking Vermont Casting 2550 ... I'll take the first $200 that comes

You are one of many on this forum with great dislike for VC. There are also many satisfied VC owners as well. I am one of them. If they are not overfired then they should last a good long while. It is unfortunate VC can't figure their sh$! out because they are truly unmatched in their appearance.

Thanks for the reply and I agree, they have produced many good products. As far as overfired, I feel like all stoves should stand up to that, my Fisher and Buck's have. I also agree that the VC's are nice looking stoves. Did you know that on the VC web site they no longer have a way to contact them .. none at all. I'd avoid em for that reason alone.
The steal in the Encore I have is heavy heavy and capable of producing a lot of heat. Again, if anyone want it, the condition is good and it's in the Romney WV area. $200 and it's yours

Here's the outside. I have all the parts minus the 3 damaged items

Attachments

• Outside refinish.jpg
    Outside refinish.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 173
Thanks for the help but I believe the link or page you provided is a local dealers "Shop" page not from the vermontcastings.com site. It's often pushed off to a local dealer in your area. Believe me, I'm not here to beat VC up even though that's what I'm doing. It's a fact that on many modules these parts don't hold up and it costs a good bit to replace them each 5 or 6 years (approx) If you're happy with VC and will buy another, that's great. I'll stick with my other brands and buy them once.
Thanks

Thanks for the help but I believe the link or page you provided is a local dealers "Shop" page not from the vermontcastings.com site. It's often pushed off to a local dealer in your area. Believe me, I'm not here to beat VC up even though that's what I'm doing. It's a fact that on many modules these parts don't hold up and it costs a good bit to replace them each 5 or 6 years (approx) If you're happy with VC and will buy another, that's great. I'll stick with my other brands and buy them once.
Thanks

definitely depends on the year. they had some rough years for sure. The newer ones seem to be a lot better, but only time will tell. They do try and push things to the local dealers, but there are a lot of companies that do the same thing in any industry.... you don't call up VW's manufacturing headquarters to get an oil filter do you?

i am going on my second year with my stove, and the only issue I have had was a cracked catalyst, which they are replacing for free. it keeps my house warm, is easy to operate, and looks nice.

no but I'd call VW's manufacturing if I was unhappy with the product that keeps failing for others and the cost of replacement parts.

Hopefully you get the replacement catalyst soon and hopefully the second one last longer than two year... I can't find the year on the back of my stove. I'll check when I see it next.
I'll say one thing, this stove is heavier than any others I've seen this size. I was excited to restore it and wasn't totally unhappy about the replacement parts which I knew I'd be doing even though $400 and up is a tad high. But I'm unhappy that this issue is common with their stoves. I should have dug deeper before I got my hands dirty. If common then they should have replacement parts for less.

The Encore 2550 given good care is not a bad stove when running right and the refractory components do seem to stand up longer than in the neverburn models. VC claims to have improved the durability of recent replacement parts too. That is TBD.

If this is a for sale posting then please put an ad for it in the classified section.

Reactions: Fod01
Status
Not open for further replies.