vermont

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ilmbg

Hearth Supporter
There is an Intrepid Vermont Castings stove at the fireplace store- it is last years model- for $800. I have Cove Radient heat, but my house has a high ceiling, and I am still cold. I have a pellet stove, but it is a pain in the A. I have a second chimny, where a wood stove was. Do any of you have experience with this little stove?

last I heard , vermont castings was struggeling to stay out of bankruptcy & had doubled the already too expensive price of replacement parts for their stoves.

vermont castings could be out of buziness any year now or sooner.

I would want a new inexpensive stove with cheap replacement parts ,like an englander.
www.englanderstoves.com
www.overstockstoves.com

Good advice, but do what you want to.

Well, that is something to think about- it would be a concern with a catalytic stove, hopefully not a big deal with a non cat. I did look at the Englander, but they are so ugly! I used to have a Blaze King, which put out great heat, but I want a better looking stove this time around!

VC has been purchased and is now back in the stove business. Buyer beware. This is not the same VC that your dad used to talk about. Hopefully things will work out, but it is pretty early in the game.

There are tons of stoves out there that are both pleasing to look at, and provide tons of heat. Go to the stove review part of Hearth.com and you will see lots of info.

that is a good deal, and a great stove... i know first hand.
but it is hard to deny what has been said above.

it is up to you.

Also, if a pellet stove is a pain in the A, what gives you the impression that a woodstove is easier?

Sorry, but I have to ask.

Is this definitely an Intrepid II (catalytic)?

My only fear would be it is a non-cat Intrepid that was out a few years back for a short time and could have been hanging around the shop.
No top load is a dead give-away if it is.

Catalytic Intrepid II I'd buy it in a heart beat at $800. Great stove at a bargain price.
Non-cat, I would walk away. That was not a good stove.

good point kw... i instantly figured 'last year' it was a II.
but 'last year', could easily mean "last model" to a sales guy..... and yea i heard not so good things about the non cat.

I did call today to make sure which it is- it is an Intrepid II. It does have top load. I read another thread where Petrus had such a terrible time- I don't want to go through that!!
As far as the difference between the pelletvs wood= the pellet stove has such a loud fan/blower that you can forget watching tv with it on. I have gone through several problems with this Harman Accentra. In fact the dealer is no longer carrying Harman because of the difficulty with their stoves and the difficulty with dealing with the people at Harman. No matter what I have done, dealer has done, there is some 'smokey' smell in the air- to me it is more than my Blaze King was. I like the heat of a wood stove better than the pellet- it gets your bones warmer. I will still keep the pellet- it was too expensive to throw away. Also, I have had eye surgery after I bought the stove that resulted in very, very dry eyes. The fan makes it worse. Also the cost- pellets are $250/ton, and then I still have to use electricity, which is very expensive where I live. I can have free wood. I also don't want this for my only heat, just to help out. I used to heat with wood only for several years- yes, it is a mess, but I won't use it alone. Maybe I should look at Napolean?? Then I think about how happy moondoggy is with his Intrepid II............decisions, decisions....

Love my stove, dont get me wrong, but keep in mind it is also my first. i dont have much experience with any other, just did a lot of research and looking
I needed a low stove w/the rear exit to make it into the fireplace flue. (i paid the lowest i could find on LI this time last year from dealer @ $1400.)
fyi, if or when I have to do it again, PE Alderlea....... beautiful stove, love the functionality, hear only praise...however i dont know how i would ever get used to NOT having a top load.

good luck on your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.