Vertical or horizontal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dennis -

Grasping at straws...

No white stuff on the ground?
After your surgery? (according to the date stamp)
Rounds stacked?

EDIT -
Different tongue jack?

Ah but there is one more thing. Look behind the splitter. Hint: I sit on a hot seat.

Intheswamp said:
DanCorcoran said:
I tried to use my Fiskars horizontally but it was hard to control, swinging it like a golf club, so I stick with vertical.
Head down, eye on the round....

Like this guys, even a little girl can do it!

Attachments

• espn.jpg
    espn.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 170
Like BS mentioned, and I think is under-accentuated, splitting off the trailer or truck bed direct to the splitter stationed horizontally is a major time saver. I set the splitter up in different spots along the pile and bring the trailer to it. Split a trailer load in one spot, throwing the splits in a pile, move the splitter and bring the next load to the new spot. Going from 28 inches off the ground (trailer bed hieght), to 30 inches or so (splitter hieght) is real straight forward. No back bending allows me to lift 25% more wieght and split larger stuff horizontally. Reducing the number of times you touch the log is as important as having vs. not having to pick it up off the ground. Vertical splitting is a must for the big stuff, but even then, the work to bring the round to the splitter is nothing to dismiss.

I also like splitting horizontally off the truck bed. My favorite way to split horizontally with a crew of one is pulling rounds off the tractor front end loader. You can raise or lower your logs to whatever level you need.

I darn sure Iam not picking that big round up to put in the truck or trailer to start with. I know what your saying but drop weight fast.

smokinjay said:
I darn sure Iam not picking that big round up to put in the truck or trailer to start with. I know what your saying but drop weight fast.

Yeah, those bigguns get the vertical treatment here, too.

Sold my Split Fire 30 inch stroke splitter. Didn't need the long stroke anymore. 16-24 inch rounds are all I need now. So I'm trying to decide on getting another Super Split , which I owned and used one for 20 years or an Iron & Oak splitter that goes horizontal & vertical. Never split with a vertical splitter. I would have bought another SplitFire that has the shorter stroke, but they have gone up to over 4000 dollars now. Can't afford that. I just don't want to be dragging my feet with a slow splitter. At the same time it be nice not to lift what you really didn't want to. You know, this will be the last be round I'll lift and then noodle the rest, yeh right, and a minute later I'm lifting stuff you know you shouldn't. Just want to be happy with what I purchase. I don't want to spend 3 hours to split a cord of wood. I loved my Super Split. Made a fast pile and sipped fuel. Any one use an Iron and oak?

May well be a stupid question, but would not a 30 inch splitter have also done 2x 15 inch rounds quite nicely?

Como said:
May well be a stupid question, but would not a 30 inch splitter have also done 2x 15 inch rounds quite nicely?
That would be getting way too small to handle. You'd have to measure evrything out before you cut it for 15's. I happy getting a supersplit again. Didn't cost me a thing after selling my other splitter, and the production rate is hands down the best with the SuperSplit. My wood cookstove takes a 19 inch piece and my regular woodstove takes a 24 in piece max. So 15's I'd be shorting myself on getting a full load in both of my fire boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.