Very Dirty Boiler Water

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimdeq

Hearth Supporter
Apr 23, 2010
northeastern wisconsin
I have a new pressurised system as of this winter. My storage consists of three vertical storage tanks that were from a laundramat. The tanks had a considerable amount of water sediment and what looked like rust buildup on the surface. The tanks are glass lined so cleaning was easy except for the discoloration of the tank walls. I had to drain my system for some upgrades and I noticeed the boiler water was very reddish and brown. System was fixed and refilled. Would it make sense to keep draining and heating until water remains clear or just leave it alone? I dont know if the dirty water is harmful to the system?

My first storage was a series of 3 used heating oil tanks, non-pressurized. I cleaned out as best I could, then used a hot water filter, much like a house cold water filter, and it trapped an amazing amount of debris. I changed the filter frequently, and debris became less and less. My second storage is my current 1000 gal used LP tank, similarly did the best I could to clean, and continued to use the filter. Now after 1+ years of use, after 2 months the filter is practically still clean. BTW, with the old oil tanks it also trapped a lot of rust and did a lot to clean up the water. You might consider doing the same. Otherwise, I would think that a film of rust will cover everything interior to your system, and might have some adverse impact on heat transfer. And be sure to test your water and treat as needed to maintain proper chemistry.

*oogle "hot water filter" and you will find several options.

Status
Not open for further replies.