1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Very happy with my purchase and install

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Brian, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Brian

Brian New Member

Loc:
    Long Island,NY
    I installed a new Shelburne recently and just wanted to express how happy this has made me LOL...I am on a tight budget and really can't wait to see the savings from propane heat...The advice I was given on here was greatly appreciated and my wife and kids love it too! They want me to get a fire going all the time,Bu it's been too warm lately. If any of you are thinking of gettinfg a stove and are researching,Do it and feel good hat you have a lot of collective knowledge right here on this sight. Happy burning all !!! Oh and I'm gonna start cooking on here too...Venison stew anyone? :)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. geoxman

geoxman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    STL City
    How would all of us know that you are not making all of this up? For all we know you installed a vogelzang box stove. JK and pics or it didn't happen and welcome
    Brian likes this.
  3. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    Welcome!
  4. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    Welcome and we need pics please, venison does sound good
  5. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Welcome Glad you like it.
  6. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Pics pics pics feed the addiction pics man ! Lol
    Brian likes this.
  7. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Ps the last ones where only 99%
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    That's great Brian. Not to get the best fuel and you are in business. I don't remember if you've been in the Wood Shed yet or not but if not, please visit and learn!
    Brian likes this.
  9. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Thats great Brian how you doing on your wood supply?
  10. Brian

Brian New Member

Loc:
    Long Island,NY
    wood supply is I bought 2 cords of pretty dry oak(! year I was told) and I've been scrounging logs as much as I can fit in my Expedition when I see it...Gotta get a new chain tomorrow and keep splitting(by hand)...sucks but it's excercise
  11. Brian

Brian New Member

Loc:
    Long Island,NY
    644463_4062611916028_793419320_n.jpg 388784_4136984375293_1639201037_n.jpg 389820_4149785775320_2010865669_n.jpg View attachment 78087

OK so here's the stove and there's the stew I'll be doing on the stove all winter as long as I harvest a deer this year....I have one going now for football tomorrow :) Go JETS!!!
  12. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    Elegant. Thanks for the pictures. Looks warm and yummy.
    Brian likes this.
  13. BIGDADDY

BIGDADDY Feeling the Heat

Nice.
  14. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    Well, at least the stove won't let you down. ;lol
    Brian likes this.
  15. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Nice work.
    Brian likes this.
  16. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

That is a beautiful stove Brian ! You will enjoy it for years to come and keep cooking on it. Cooking has not and most likly will not loose it's appeal for us. It helps make a home a home ! Congratulations Brian.

Pete
    Brian likes this.
  17. evilgriff

evilgriff Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Northern New Jersey
    Brian, feel free to take my deer. All of them. They poop all over the yard where my kid plays. Have you ever wrestled one to the ground? You will need to practice that before you come as my area is residential and you would not be able to shoot in my yard. But the deer here are very friendly and let you walk right up to them if you are smiling and keep your hands where they can see them. OTOH if you are wearing camo and have a knife in your hand there are so many they may surround you and get you first.
    etiger2007 and Brian like this.
  18. James02

James02 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    L-Town...N.Y.
    JETS...:mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:Sanchez<> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Brian likes this.
  19. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    Off topic, but Levittown----in my 7th grade history class, many centuries ago, a teacher made a negative comment about Levittown...and 11 of the 18 of us in the class took umbrage....unbeknownst to us 11 of the 18 had spent our early years there...moved when I was 5, but have great memories of playing in the block wide open back yards, winters playing in the sand at Jones Beach in snowsuits, no one else there...seeing Ike from an overpass...I hated that...my mother was so excited, she pushed the carriage and we all walked forever to get there, then this man was driven underneath us waving and we had to walk all the way back...watched my Dad fall through the ceiling into my bedroom while he was finishing the upstairs....mopped up by the big glass windows during a hurricane after we had sold the home but before we moved, and was spanked for not mopping fast enough...took the pieces out of the back of the TV that was installed into the closet...my parents' never did know why it broke....Tons more memories. Loved Levittown...31 Cottonwood Lane. Early 1950's. Sure it has changed a lot. My Mom wanted to buy the potato fields across the road and everyone thought she was crazy....
    Brian likes this.
  20. James02

James02 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    L-Town...N.Y.

Small world...Thats pretty much a stones throw from me...
  21. Huntindog1

Huntindog1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Central Indiana
    Nice Stove Brian, be patient as you learn how it burns and use dry wood, if that oak isnt dry enough try mixing in some dry wood with a few sticks of the oak. Mixing it seems to get people by.

One trick to help get your stove up to heat quick is to split some of that oak (drier pieces of it) into like 1/2" to 1" kindling, oak burns so much hotter than some of the lesser btu wood. Splitting it that small its amazing how fast it will heat up the stove. Just try it you will be surprised.

Put those oak kindling on hot coals and try and load the rest of the wood "not" on hot coals by raking the coals to one side or to the front (dont know if thats a front or side loading stove). Put the kindling on last and put it on the hot coals and even put a fire starter on top of the kindling as it will suck air thru the coals at it burns and get things heated quick so you can then get the stoves air shut back down quicker for a longer over night burn. As with slightly moist wood seems like it takes for ever to get the heat up in the stove and you end up burning alot of the load getting to the temps needed.

So if that oak isnt super dry this will all help and also help to get longer burn times.
    Brian likes this.
  22. Brian

Brian New Member

Loc:
    Long Island,NY
    Thanks for the advice guys...Huntindog,I've been playing around with the wood...It's pretty dry butr it could be dryer.I'll take your advice.My neighbor is going top get me a truckload of oak floor drop off :) that should be fun to help get the fire roaring.As long as I don't put too much and over heat I should be fine!
  23. Brian

Brian New Member

Loc:
    Long Island,NY
    DUDE the JETS SUCK...Hope Big Ben heals quickly for you guys if that's who you root for!!!
  24. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    Welcome and nice install!
  25. Brian

Brian New Member

Loc:
    Long Island,NY
    Thank you sir!!! Came home and tHe wife had a nice fire going...Really diggin' it now.She's seeing the savings already! Turned the heat on once in the am over the weekend then got a fire going....Ran 20 minutes tops.Screw you Vitale propane LOL!!!
    Blue2ndaries likes this.