very interesting storage/ stratification ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
I wonder if any scheme that tries to enhance stratification(except for a decent heat exchanger installation) is worth the effort versus trying to use lower grade heating devices.
What I am suggesting is would it be worthwhile to retrofit a house with low temperature baseboards, radiant panels or even convectors, so you can utilize a lower temp tank.

From what I saw on the website, a lot of baffles and/or smaller tanks with penetrations and manifolds, although being passive, seem to add to costs and complexity. I wonder about the durability of baffles in hot tanks over time.

The JC scheme of multiple tanks is based on PVC piping and marginal sealing. As we deal with more stuff, the complexity foists more water leaks and problems. I am skeptical of the multiple tank idea, because of the issue of simply removing heat from these tanks and the possibility of one of the connectors leaking pulling down the whole system.

I have messed around with a lot of small tanks(and big ones), and have never felt very good about tying multiple tanks together by moving water from one tank to another. I think if one wanted to do this, heat exchangers make more sense, but then that cost goes up rapidly.

The Polyethylene tanks would not stand the test of wood boiler temps. Steel drums will, with liners.

Every time we have put penetrations in our tanks, over the past 30 years, we have usually had some kind of issue with someone having leaks. That is why we will probably never install fittings in our liners. Been there, done that and it is hard enough to make sure that there are never any leaks without poking holes in the sides of any tanks, except for welded steel ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.