Vigas min fan speed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JP11

Minister of Fire
May 15, 2011
Central Maine
Just curious what anyone else is running. I know not many have this boiler without storage. Mine is set to 25% fan speed as a min. But I've got storage.

I helped get a friend's 40 running, and I set his min down to 15%. It seemed to do very well down low like that. Two zones in the house calling. It sat at about 250 to 260 degrees flue temp. Boiler sitting at 183 degrees and fan just turning 15 to 18% fan speed.

He was awful happy this morning to see an empty firebox. I had to roll his min temp down a bit to make sure the lack of storage didn't have him prematurely shutting down.

He's very handy, and did all his own install. He's used to cleaning his chimney once a month from his smoke dragon, so I made him promise to stay on top of that.

He's anxious for cold temps, and happy as can be that he had the whole house at 75 last night. I think the no storage thing sure isn't as convenient.. but for a guy like him that's semi retired and home all the time.. it's MANAGEABLE. I sure like my setup better. But it seems like it's gonna work fine for him.

JP

Mine isn't a Vigas but I'm betting my net fan output is in the 10% ballpark during a peak burn. Once my fire is good and steady I'll turn the fan speed down to 50% and then close the fan shutter 80% +/-, typically. When I run a full load of a really nice wood (say red oak) I can get the shutters probably closer to 90% closed.

On a day with weird weather, however, I can findmyself with much much higher fan output. To be expected I suppose.

I know manually adjusting fan shutters is soooooo 1990's technology but I thought I'd share anyway! ha.

LOL.. yeah, you're rocking it old school.

I didn't think to look at what the shutter was exactly. I wanna say in the 60% range and the fan at 15%

Flue temps were ok.. so I think he's safe from creosote production.

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.