Vigas Nozzle replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JP11

Minister of Fire
May 15, 2011
Central Maine
OK.. so I should have my hearth ID taken away.

About half way thru chiseling out (used an air hammer) my old nozzles.. I realized I should be taking pics.

I didn't. Not a one.

The job was a BIT bigger than I thought. But it was mostly just in my head. The nozzle didn't just "pop" up and out like I thought. They are cemented in more or less in the 60 and the 80.

So.. I pretty much had to re pour the whole center. When I had it all cleaned up ready to pour, you could see the two tubes which carry the gas to the nozzle. You need to make a form of some sort to make the connection between the nozzle and the tube. I ended up using thick wall vinyl tubing. I had some old scraps from my biodiesel lab. It wasn't perfect.. the fit was tight inside the tube, but due to tightness around the edges, all I did was put them flush up against the nozzle, not THRU so I could pull them out after the refractory hardened.

I got a good hot fire going.. and let the vinyl burn out. Worked good. Or at least I should say.. it's working good now.

The new nozzles for sure put out a better flame. Whole bottom of firebox is FULL of a huge flame when it's gassing. Nozzle is a bit more high tech in construction and has 'ported' holes instead of just what looks like holes drilled thru refractory.

No pics.. sorry!

JP

You were only half way thru the demo when you thought of pics - and went the rest of the way thru the job and still no pics?

Man that is bad ..... really bad ....

::-)

Reactions: flyingcow
Sounds like fun... How often do you need to do that?

You said it puts out a better flame -- new design? Or was the old one just working poorly sense it was wore out?

New design. I replaced with cast steel nozzles. previous was refractory. About a third of the way thru, when I got a good look at the nozzle, I decided I really could and should have waited another year. That would have been 3 years, and 30 cords thru the old refractory based nozzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.