1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Vigilant Glass Gasket Replacement Question

Post in 'Vermont Castings & CDW Dutchwest older Models' started by spolleypt, Oct 31, 2013.

1. spolleypt

spolleypt Member

Loc:
    Maine
    I noticed tonight that my gasket was gone on my VC Vigilant doors. Took apart glass and gasket fell apart, as glass almost fell out too. I noticed online rutland has "glass gasket" that is stick on 11/16ths, and VC has a vigilant glass gasket kit that is 3/16ths. Can someone tell me the correct gasket to use and how to replace. I assume it does not go on with stove cement like the griddle gasket. The glass seems to just rest in place, rather than have a channel for gasket.
    Thanks very much!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    The gasket in the doors for the glass seal is 3/16. It pretty much just sits between the glass & the door frame. It doesn't hurt to put a little dab of RTV silicone in the corners of the door pocket to hold the gasket in place while you're positioning the glass. Don't use a lot, or you'll just squeeze it out onto the glass...
  3. spolleypt

spolleypt Member

Loc:
    Maine
    Thanks Bob, Can I assume using the self stick type gasket would also work fine if I can find the right size?
  4. DAKSY

Loc:
    Probably, but I doubt you will find the right size. Besides, most self-adhesive or tape gasket is flat. You need round gasket so it will compress and form an airtight seal...
  5. spolleypt

spolleypt Member

Loc:
    Maine
    Most helpful again. Thanks. I believe the previous owner used the self stick as it had a paper like backing, but there was definitively an air leak as the glass was blackening by the leaking gasket. Time to head out and see if I can find the 3/16 gasket rope. Tried local hardware but they only had Rutland 1/4 -->5/16 which is good for the griddle but too large for the door.
    Thanks Again
  6. DAKSY

Loc:
    The griddle does take a 5/16 gasket, but it's an ARMORED 5/16. It's not the same fiberglas gasket as the rest of the stove takes...If you can't get the 3/16", you can probably make the 1/4" stuff work by stretching it slightly, but you'll have to work quickly to get it under compression before it pulls back...
  7. spolleypt

spolleypt Member

Loc:
    Maine
    I found that the glass gasket kit generic at the hardware store and there 1/4-5/16ths gasket material worked for the glass and griddle respectively. Thanks for the help.