Vintage Axe identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
I have an old axe. not sure of its age. I'm not thinking it's super valuable. head shape is very similar to the first one you see on this page: http://vintageaxes.com/single.html

only markings on the axe are a "X" stamped on the side in the middle and an "8" on the underneath side right in front of the handle.

Is there a nice resource for looking up info on older axes? I use this axe quite a bit and have filed and cleaned up the head some, so any patina is history. Hope that doesn't end up being a horrible mistake, but it just can't be THAT old.....

It's not that old. Use it without fear.
Eric Sloane was the local (New England) ax expert. His book, "A Museum of Early American Tools" has hand drawn sketches of the evolution of axes.
I have several of the same vintage as yours, all yard sale treasures, none highly valuable antiques (yet).

Dune said:
It's not that old. Use it without fear.
Eric Sloane was the local (New England) ax expert. His book, "A Museum of Early American Tools" has hand drawn sketches of the evolution of axes.
I have several of the same vintage as yours, all yard sale treasures, none highly valuable antiques (yet).
I use it more than my true temper with a fiberglass handle. thanks for the re-assurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.