Vogelzang 5790 how often and how are you guys cleaning them?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Joe.G

Jan 21, 2018
NY
I have had my stove for 6 Years and I burn between 4 to 6 Ton's a year though it and I use it to heat around 2,600 Sqft all winter long in NY. I usually Vacumm it out every 5 days and twice a season I remove the Exhaust fan and clean out all of the sides and exhaust ( I do the side covers every 2 to 3 weeks )I can tell when the stove is starting to get dirty by the way it burns. I did add a extension on my burn pot middle of last season and the burn pot now stays clean and I get no more missed pellets. I used to have to clean the stove a lot more and I would have a bunch of smoldering pellets all over the place.

I have a 5770 which is a little smaller. I run it on the lowest heat ranges most of the time all winter. Every week or two I clean the firebox and ash traps, scrape the burn pot, clean the glass, stick the vacuum around the igniter and vacuum switch port. Every month or two I also clean the pipe, exhaust blower housing, thermal switch face, and as far as I can reach up the heat exchanger passages.

Times like this when I’m running on low, it’s more like 2 weeks / 2 months. In the really cold times it’s more like 1 week / 1 month. I too can tell when it’s getting closer to cleaning time. When I clean it, the firebox is always still below the level of the pot, the ash traps are not jammed full, the burn pot holes are still fully open, and the glass can still be seen through.

I’ve never had issues of pellets missing the pot, or smoldering pellets all over. Must be something a little different in the geometry between the two stoves because I’ve heard of other 5790 users having that problem as well.

With the old pellets I used to have to clean the whole firebox, burn pot, and glass, every 2 days max. By 1/2 day the glass would pack solid and in 1-2 days the pot would plug up. And less heat. Glad those days are over.

Reactions: Joe.G