Vogelzang Ponderosa Heat temps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmlowz

Dec 7, 2014
CLARKSVILLE TN
Hello forum friends,

I am new to wood burning with the Poderosa. I just had it installed in my 24 x 40 pole barn which is for entertainment. In the owners manual it states three burns for breaking it in at different temps, the last burn getting the stove up to 500 to 700 degrees Fahrenheit. I thought this was a very high temp compared to other stoves I was doing research on before I bought the Ponderosa. Out of curiosity I called Vogelzang customer service up to see what they recommend. They said don't let the stove get hotter than 1200 degrees and the stove pipe flu no hotter than 600 degrees and you will not damage the stove. The manual states that if any part is glowing it is over fired. Do you think I got a inexperienced customer service rep? I could be wrong but if it got to 1200 degrees the whole stove would glow. What do my forum friends think? I have two thermometer's one on the flu pipe and one on the top of the stove.

Thanks,

rmlowz

Reactions: UrbanBrnr
Welcome, rmlowz. :) It sounds like those temps are reversed; 600 stove top, 1200 flue sounds more like it. If you have a magnetic surface thermometer on a single-wall connector pipe at 18" above the stove top, the actual internal flue gas temp will be about double what the meter reads.

Welcome, rmlowz. :) It sounds like those temps are reversed; 600 stove top, 1200 flue sounds more like it. If you have a magnetic surface thermometer on a single-wall connector pipe at 18" above the stove top, the actual internal flue gas temp will be about double what the meter reads.

Thanks for your reply Woody Stover, That makes more sense, how you explained it. I will make sure the stove top thermometer will not get past the 700 degrees as the manual states as a high setting. I have a flu thermometer on the single wall pipe 18 inches up also. With the research I did before buying, I realize the Ponderosa is a entry level stove. I don't want the stove to get damaged from to high of heat. I hope it will last many years since I really only fire it up about three times a week.

Thanks again,

rmlowz

I've seen the 'zang Performer, a bit smaller than yours, in the Menards here. It appears to be a decent value stove and I think it will serve you well for many years to come. :cool:

Reactions: UrbanBrnr
Status
Not open for further replies.