Vroom Vroom! Winter wood hauler, current version.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
Current version of the winter wood hauler. The other night I was at Farm and Fleet and they had all their ice fishing gear on sale. I picked up the black plastic sled and it is sure saving me a lot of walking back and forth in the deep snow to carry wood out to the trail to load it on the sled behind the ATV. The sticker on the plastic sled had a picture of a guy hauling wood with it behind his ATV and I knew it was the one for me! HA!
IMG_0539%20(1024x768).jpg

Hey Quads, that's cool. One question, though: it looks like you cut/split out in the field and then drag the splits home. Why do you do that versus dragging home the logs and splitting/stacking at the same time?

S

I can't tell from the pic, does it have stake pockets on it?

Quads around here they sell them under the brand name "Otter Sled". Ours went missing since the blizzard here last week. It might have blown away from where we had it stored and it might be buried in the 4' snow drifts in our backyard. I'm hoping no one walked off with it....

I could see you pulling 3 or four of them using a shorter leash in a freight train alignment behind your 4x4....

I do miss your bobsled though. :)

thinkxingu said:
Hey Quads, that's cool. One question, though: it looks like you cut/split out in the field and then drag the splits home. Why do you do that versus dragging home the logs and splitting/stacking at the same time?

S
I cut the tree down, then buck it up, then split the rounds right where they lay, load them on the trailer/sled, haul them up and stack. I don't like to handle the firewood anymore than necessary, and splits are lighter and easier to move around and load on the trailer. So, I split it where it falls and haul it to the stack. Done. No lugging heavy rounds in the woods or loading and unloading them from the trailer. Plus the bugs, carpenter ants, bark, and woodchips mostly all stay out in the woods by the stump.

Works for me anyway.

SolarAndWood said:
I can't tell from the pic, does it have stake pockets on it?
No stake pockets, just like a kiddie sled except a little bigger. I joked with Mrs. Quads when I bought it that I was going to get her in it with me and ride it down the hill a couple times!

Shari said:
Quads around here they sell them under the brand name "Otter Sled". Ours went missing since the blizzard here last week. It might have blown away from where we had it stored and it might be buried in the 4' snow drifts in our backyard. I'm hoping no one walked off with it....

I could see you pulling 3 or four of them using a shorter leash in a freight train alignment behind your 4x4....

I do miss your bobsled though. :)
I hope you find yours! It sure is a handy thing to have.

Hey, now that's an idea, pull a whole bunch of them in a longer train. Hmmm........ Maybe next year, since I'm already thinking Spring now! (As I'm typing this and it's -19°F below zero outside.)

4 bolts and the bobsled can go back on for passenger duty. I was wrecking it pretty fast using it for wood and I don't think it would have lasted too much longer anyway. Plus, as much wood as I have sold this year I needed the extra hauling capacity, the bobsled didn't haul nearly as much.

Quads we have a "calf sleigh" that we use to hand bomb wood around on our yard. It has nicely squared sides which I am thinking of building a set of plywood "sides" for the sleight to increase the capacity. I know that the risk is that one could end up making it top heavy but I will snap some pics of the sleigh.

There is never a shortage of ideas in my head as to how to get wood home from the bush. I still find though that keeping it simple and slow and steady wins the race are the best advice I have ever followed for firewood gathering.

quads said:
thinkxingu said:

S
I cut the tree down, then buck it up, then split the rounds right where they lay, load them on the trailer/sled, haul them up and stack. I don't like to handle the firewood anymore than necessary, and splits are lighter and easier to move around and load on the trailer. So, I split it where it falls and haul it to the stack. Done. No lugging heavy rounds in the woods or loading and unloading them from the trailer. Plus the bugs, carpenter ants, bark, and woodchips mostly all stay out in the woods by the stump.

Works for me anyway.

+1 for me too. Plus it tends to pile up on me if I don't split it right away. The smaller pieces I have to move around the better I like it.

Good idea quads. That sled should work out really good, especially in the deep snow.

I kinda like the train idea
3 sleds for wood
1 for mrs quads
so she can keep you company

Quads, makes sense now that I think of it (especially if the wood can be driven right to the stacks). I suppose there's not waste to rake up, either. I'm thinking of when I scrounge, which would be an extra step.

S

You don't need a caboose with brakes to stop that train from passing you going down hill ?
:)

It works great! I used it all day today. Works much better than the little kiddie sled I was using last week. Could only get half a dozen splits at a time in that and then most of the time those fell out before I got back out to the trail with them.

1 sled for Mrs. Quads! HA! Not a bad idea actually....

Fortunately I don't have much for hills here, but if I stop quick, it does let me know it's back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.