Waiting for Shed to be Built

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Longknife

Burning Hunk
Oct 12, 2016
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I was hoping to have my old wood shed torn down, and a new one built in it's place by this spring. Life being what it is though, meant it still hasn't happened yet. The old one is down and the site prepared for the new one, but I just haven't been able to find the time to get it built.

My original hope was to get all this coming winter's wood into it early and have it seasoned. As I plan on a mostly enclosed shed (12x24), minus roll up doors in the front and perhaps large shutters in the rear, and the fact that it will be nestled in the trees, it probably won't be suitable to season wood in one season. I was intending to get a winter ahead so I wasn't always cutting for the coming winter, and have almost 2 x winters worth in the shed, one a year ahead of the other.

Although this comings season's wood it's mostly EAB killed ash, it was cut and blocked this winter and only just recently split, so I was getting worried that it was getting too late into this spring/summer to expect it to season properly in a shed that had yet to be built. Although it will mean more handling of it, I am resorting to my previous means of 1 summer-seasoning, which is to stack it on hay wagons and cover it from rain. I used to do this on my fath-in-law's, or my father's farm as that's where I processed my wood and they had ideal places (on wind swept hills, with full sun all day) to park them. I would them haul the wagons to my house in the fall and fill the old shed. As all my wood is coming off my property this year, the wagon will have to be parked on my laneway as I don't want it on my grass and everything else is bush. It should get enough breeze and sun to season I'm hoping. I've got about 3 cord in covered piles on the property to augment, which coupled with the wagon load, should safely take me over my 6 cord average consumption of the last few years.

The new shed is going in behind where the red trailer is parked.

10mres2.jpg

I got this picture taken after just getting it covered after a good week of dry heat. The metal is the walls from an old above ground pool and it's served me well for these purposes over the years. The tires are in rough shape and not proper implement tires. I just got a spare set to put on, but I usually jack the wagon up on blocks for the summer/

73jf6h.jpg