Waiting on pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
Day after Christmas, kids do not have school, and I am at the store waiting on 22 tons to pull into the parking lot.

Did you run out of pellets?

Ahhh unloaded and tucked away prior to the storm coming in. I been dealing with ProPellet for six years and have no reason to change. This is a slow year on pellets and have only moved 47 truckloads so far. As for running out I was down t a few tons but that is cause I delayed reordering due to the Holidays.

Eric

Hard to do when your running the fork lift trying to get the driver unloaded.

Eric

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Good way to spend the day... :)

Wish I had 22 tons! (Even if I had to sell them :))

ProPellets = no reason to change? Sorry, that compelled me to chime in. I burn both Somerset's and Pro's and Pro's are an "ash factory" compared to Somersets, IMEO (in my experieced opinion). Business is business and maybe you've carved out a niche for Pro's or you get better margins (not having to match Menards)...which you are entitled to as a business! With that said, Pro's are a dream compared to the stuff made in my back yard at MWP in Holland.

ProPellets = no reason to change? Sorry, that compelled me to chime in. I burn both Somerset's and Pro's and Pro's are an "ash factory" compared to Somersets, IMEO (in my experieced opinion). Business is business and maybe you've carved out a niche for Pro's or you get better margins (not having to match Menards)...which you are entitled to as a business! With that said, Pro's are a dream compared to the stuff made in my back yard at MWP in Holland.

We're hoping dex will deliver a couple bags of sets to him someday. Eric is definetly stuck on them Pro's.

We're hoping dex will deliver a couple bags of sets to him someday. Eric is definetly stuck on them Pro's.

Gonna be out his way this weekend. But doubt he is open on Sunday??

I would be more than happy to give him 5 bags to "Trial".

I love Somersets!!! I love Pro Pellets too, but my Anal, OCD, has made me test temps of all my pellets (ash content matters, but not much to me) and Somersets have been far superior in Heat (Quad is ALL I do temp tests in).

The $175 a ton is where he would have a hard time justifying it. Menards is Hard to Beat.

If he is selling around 50 truckloads of Pro's a year (he said this is slow), I would say his clientele is pretty loyal.

Reactions: Eatonpcat
I deal direct with the mill and can speak to the plant manager on his cell phone if I want, but really no need too. I also have a dedicated shipping company that works well with the mill. I hear from the dispatcher and driver prior to delivery. They are always on time except a mechanical issue that may come up. That is important to me since I used to run a semi. I started this by running steel into MI and picking up pellets as a backhaul. As for ash I do not see a problem in any of the stoves I burn Harman, QuadraFire and Heatilator.

Eric

Pro pellets are a good pellet, but they are not even the best pellet produced in Michigan. I think the best Michigan produced pellet is Kirtland. However, I know with pellets that freight is a huge issue. This is why every pellet house in Michigan carries the Pro Pellet/Magic Spark brand.

Never heard of Kirtland Pellets. Shipping on a truckload of pellets is usually $2.00 to $2.50 per mile with usually a minimum of $375 for short hauls. Longer runs can be a nightmare on shipping.

Eric

Kirkland is the Costco private label. Kirtland pellets are made in Boyne City, MI. That would add a few bucks in freight costs to Eric's location as opposed to Pro Pellets which are made down by the Indiana line.

Status
Not open for further replies.