waiting ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fitter9

Oct 10, 2013
central jersey
New to the forum, but not new to wood burning.
I have been burning in an open fireplace for quite a few years. The wife and i have been talking about getting an insert for two years now. We finally ordered the Lopi Freedom about a week ago. I am having the fireplace shop were we bought it do the install. They called yesterday to tell me everything was in. Now i just have to wait for the township to get the permit ready. I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas. I have been watching the news every night hoping they say a cold front is coming.
i have been burning around 3 to 4 cords a season in my open fireplace, i know the insert is much more efficient, but im wondering if im going to burn less wood,(because of efficiency) or more wood,(longer burn times).
Anybody have any opinions on this??
I have learned more about firewood in the last few weeks reading this forum than i did in the last 9 years burning that old open fireplace.
thanks all you smart SOB's

Welcome. You will burn less wood and still be warmer. You might be wearing less clothes too!

Reactions: Beer Belly
im wondering if im going to burn less wood,(because of efficiency) or more wood,(longer burn times).
The first one. I spent a few winters trying to get warmth out of an open fireplace (back in the 70's) and about froze to death huddled close. You won't believe the difference. You did good.

Stick around. You'll learn a lot here :)

It's good that you're learning about the importance of dry wood. That puts you ahead of most.

Partner, welcome. The most important factor with any new clean burn technology stove is the firewood. You give a stove dry seasoned wood, it does the rest and you'll be warm. Enjoy you new stove.

Reactions: Sprinter
good dry wood is no problem. i have over 3 cords of mixed hardwoods that are 2 to 3 years seasoned, i have a full cord of red oak that has been split small and stacked over a year ago, the moisture meter on that stuff is around 25%

i just bought that meter at lowes this past weekend. i never even heard of a moisture meter before i found this place.

good dry wood is no problem. i have over 3 cords of mixed hardwoods that are 2 to 3 years seasoned, i have a full cord of red oak that has been split small and stacked over a year ago, the moisture meter on that stuff is around 25%

i just bought that meter at lowes this past weekend. i never even heard of a moisture meter before i found this place.
You're in great shape. And the 25% stuff will continue to get better.

Last edited:
You picked an excellent insert. Once you get past the slight learning curve, that freedom will have you running around naked in the house!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.