Wall surround for Englander 17-VL?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rastep75

Jan 28, 2016
Tx
I bought an Englander 17-VL recently and am putting it in the corner of the living room. Our walls had two layers of OSB on them (we live in a bar that we are converting to a house). I took down one layer of OSB and put up 1/2" hardibacker over the single layer of OSB remaining. Then I covered it with stone veneer panels using latex modified thinset. My husband's colleague said we can't do that and the house will burn down if we do. If we place the stove more than the minimum required clearance from the walls and the stove is approved for manufactured homes, will this be okay? I am freaking out that I did this wrong and will have to tear down the work I did and start over. The floor is porcelain tile over concrete slab with latex modified thinset.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    224.7 KB · Views: 168
  • image.png
    image.png
    245.8 KB · Views: 154
No worry. Should be fine as long as the stove's clearances listed in the manual are met or exceeded.

One other thing to pay attention to is the stove pipe clearance. That trumps the stove clearance if it is larger. Single-wall stove pipe needs to be 18" from any combustible, double-wall connector pipe needs 6" clearance.

One other thing to pay attention to is the stove pipe clearance. That trumps the stove clearance if it is larger. Single-wall stove pipe needs to be 18" from any combustible, double-wall connector pipe needs 6" clearance.
It came with a triple wall connector pipe but we still moved the stove out to 18" from the wall

Did you mean chimney? There is no triple-wall connector pipe. Connector or stove pipe is what goes from the stove to the ceiling support box. From that point up through the roof it must be class A, high-temp chimney pipe.

Reactions: Rastep75
No worry. Should be fine as long as the stove's clearances listed in the manual are met or exceeded.

As Begreen says, check the manual for the diagram and chart. The Englander 17 has pretty decent clearances.

Reactions: Rastep75
Did you mean chimney? There is no triple-wall connector pipe. Connector or stove pipe is what goes from the stove to the ceiling support box. From that point up through the roof it must be class A, high-temp chimney pipe.
Oops, yes, that is what I meant. My husband is in charge of the installation, and I handle all the other stuff :) He said he is going straight through the roof with the chimney and it came with a triple wall chimney. I'm not sure what the connector pipe is but will find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.