wall thimble?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roundeye

Jan 16, 2011
eastern kansas
Either im making this complicated or the instructions aren't clear. Im installing the wall thimble, it says to cut a 7 1/2 x 7 1/2" square. So that's between two wall studs of course. So I cut the square hole and clear it out of anything in the way and install the thimble over the sheetrock and attach it to the studs. Correct?

If that's per instructions.. Studs are 16" on center. So you won't have 2 studs. And depending on where your hole is, you may not hit one. Mine has Nothing bolted to studs. Only made a round hole for the thimble to go through. (Center round section, that goes through wall) My thimble screwed into drywall. On another note for the siding.. I cut the siding on the outside so its sits flush inside of it. Other wise you will use a lot of caulk/silicone, to fill the gaps.

Hello

If you make your hole in the center of the studs, then you can screw the wall thimble to the stud for a much more secure installation.

Hope these pics help.

See my install below.
A round hole was cut only large enough for the pellet pipe to go thru the cement board on finished wall.
1st pic is inside boiler room where there is no sheetrock so you can see the thimble screwed to the studs.
2nd pic is outside boiler room where the black finished thimble section is screwed in and porcelin tile is cemented around it!

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackplane&Connection 208sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackplane&Connection 208sc.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 387
  • PS3PelletStoveBackplane&Connection 206sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackplane&Connection 206sc.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 394
Status
Not open for further replies.