Want to join the club...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Riteway

Burning Hunk
Jul 27, 2020
Kitsap County, WA
So my wife got me a chainsaw for Father's Day, which apparently activated some latent desire to acquire and process free firewood (as was an obsession of my forefathers). Got quite a woodpile going now.

I got the go-ahead from Mrs. Riteway to look into having a wood burning insert installed into our existing masonry fireplace, as long as the total cost was <$3k. We have a natural gas forced-air furnace now, so the insert would be a secondary heat source in a relatively mild climate area (western Washington state). I'd like something with a blower, roughly 2.5 CF capacity, and will need about 15 feet of chimney liner installed.

I got a couple quotes from local fireplace shops, which were in the $4k - $5k range for the stove and installation ($2.5k to $3k for the unit, and the remainder for installation), which overshoots the budget quite a bit. Wish I would have thought about getting a stove before the recent EPA rules kicked in there, because I bet there was some deals to be had out there.

I was thinking about calling the fireplace shops within a 100-mile radius to see if they had any pre-EPA 2020 demo units for sale, but are they even allowed to sell those anymore? Also, I noticed that Costco has a Drolet "Escape 1800" model for $1,400...anybody have any feedback on this one? I think my wife would prefer a flush-mount unit, but at our price range, I suppose we can't be too picky.

The Drolet Escape 1800 is a decent value insert. This fellow WA state poster just got the smaller Escape 1500 installed for under $3K.

Reactions: Riteway
Welcome!

Reactions: Riteway
Welcome! I grew up in Bremerton.

I noticed that Costco has a Drolet "Escape 1800" model for $1,400...anybody have any feedback on this one?
Was it the "trio" like this? https://www.costco.com/Escape-1800-Wood-Stove-Insert-Trio.product.100301403.html
That's a great deal...Drolet makes good stoves at fair prices and back it up with good customer service too.
I have the smaller/older Drolet 1400i insert stove...had a Drolet Tundra wood furnace too...I think you'd be happy with the 1500 or the 1800, just need to see which one fits your install the best...

Was it the "trio" like this? https://www.costco.com/Escape-1800-Wood-Stove-Insert-Trio.product.100301403.html
That's a great deal...Drolet makes good stoves at fair prices and back it up with good customer service too.
I have the smaller/older Drolet 1400i insert stove...had a Drolet Tundra wood furnace too...I think you'd be happy with the 1500 or the 1800, just need to see which one fits your install the best...
Yep, that's the one. I think the "trio" part is because it comes with the liner kit and cover plate. Seems like a great deal

So my wife got me a chainsaw for Father's Day, which apparently activated some latent desire to acquire and process free firewood (as was an obsession of my forefathers). Got quite a woodpile going now.

I got the go-ahead from Mrs. Riteway to look into having a wood burning insert installed into our existing masonry fireplace, as long as the total cost was <$3k. We have a natural gas forced-air furnace now, so the insert would be a secondary heat source in a relatively mild climate area (western Washington state). I'd like something with a blower, roughly 2.5 CF capacity, and will need about 15 feet of chimney liner installed.

I got a couple quotes from local fireplace shops, which were in the $4k - $5k range for the stove and installation ($2.5k to $3k for the unit, and the remainder for installation), which overshoots the budget quite a bit. Wish I would have thought about getting a stove before the recent EPA rules kicked in there, because I bet there was some deals to be had out there.

I was thinking about calling the fireplace shops within a 100-mile radius to see if they had any pre-EPA 2020 demo units for sale, but are they even allowed to sell those anymore? Also, I noticed that Costco has a Drolet "Escape 1800" model for $1,400...anybody have any feedback on this one? I think my wife would prefer a flush-mount unit, but at our price range, I suppose we can't be too picky.
Are you mechanically inclined/can you install yourself? I installed a Century 2900(another SBI company) in my existing masonry fireplace. Was well under your 3k limit, although that was a few years ago.
15959078300146538327275078353697.jpg

Yep, that's the one. I think the "trio" part is because it comes with the liner kit and cover plate. Seems like a great deal
It is a great deal...the only thing you need to highly consider adding would be an insulation kit for the liner...most installs need them and it's just generally a good idea...can buy those for $2-300 more depending on chimney height.
And if you can diy the install, you are in under $2k...it's really not that hard in most cases...we can help walk you through it too...start reading up here, there is plenty of great info on doing self installs.
Some pics of your fireplace and chimney would be good...and chimney height/internal flue dimensions are important too...if the flue is 8"x 8" or more you should be ok to install liner with insulation "as is"

Reactions: Gearhead660
Cool! If you went to BHS in the mid-90s we might know each other...

graduated from CKHS, then Olympic college, then took the ferry every day to UW for my undergraduate.

Bought my blaze king princess from kitsap lumber. They were/are good to deal with for a diy type guy.

A major safety note, please buy some chainsaw chaps and a chainsaw helmet and use both. Bad things happen to eager unexperienced first time chainsaw users.

Some gory images to illustrate

Last edited:
Reactions: Chilly Willy
A major safety note, please buy some chainsaw chaps and a chainsaw helmet and use both. Bad things happen to eager unexperienced first time chainsaw users.

Some gory images to illustrate

Good advice...I've got a chainsaw helmet, chaps, and steel toed boots I always wear when using the chainsaw, so I'm going to skip the gory images for now!

I recently got this book "Chainsaw Manual for Homeowners" which is a great reference. Lots of good information for the firewood cutter and occasional tree feller. The author says that the "average" chainsaw injury requires 110 stitches...let that one sink in for a moment.

The author says that the "average" chainsaw injury requires 110 stitches...let that one sink in for a moment.
Um, I'd rather not. Something about the "sink in"

It is a great deal...the only thing you need to highly consider adding would be an insulation kit for the liner...most installs need them and it's just generally a good idea...can buy those for $2-300 more depending on chimney height.
And if you can diy the install, you are in under $2k...it's really not that hard in most cases...we can help walk you through it too...start reading up here, there is plenty of great info on doing self installs.
Some pics of your fireplace and chimney would be good...and chimney height/internal flue dimensions are important too...if the flue is 8"x 8" or more you should be ok to install liner with insulation "as is"

Hmm...I hadn't thought about a DIY install. I've got moderate mechanical ability and like a good project, so maybe I should give it a shot. House was built in 1975. The fireplace front opening is 36"x 28", and the firebox is 23" deep. Chimney is about 13 feet tall (from the bottom of the hearth up to the top). Flue is 11" x 11". There's a steel damper in an opening that's about 11" x 30". Looks like removing the damper could be quite the project in itself.

Now I'm thinking about knocking out that "arch" over the fireplace, and covering it with a stone veneer. Should probably do that before installing the insert.
IMG_20200723_175623759.jpgIMG_20200728_184717362.jpgIMG_20200728_185143253.jpg

Hmm...I hadn't thought about a DIY install. I've got moderate mechanical ability and like a good project, so maybe I should give it a shot. House was built in 1975. The fireplace front opening is 36"x 28", and the firebox is 23" deep. Chimney is about 13 feet tall (from the bottom of the hearth up to the top). Flue is 11" x 11". There's a steel damper in an opening that's about 11" x 30". Looks like removing the damper could be quite the project in itself.

Now I'm thinking about knocking out that "arch" over the fireplace, and covering it with a stone veneer. Should probably do that before installing the insert.
View attachment 261895
View attachment 261896
View attachment 261897
That's a perfect candidate for a diy install!
You'll be surprised how easy that damper comes out!
With a chimney that short you will probably have to put a class A chimney pipe extension on it to get to a minimum of 15-18' tall...they make an adapter to do this...not that big of a deal...

Looks just like my damper was. Assuming you are in a ranch if you only need 15ft of liner. I say do the install yourself with another set of hands. I got the insulation kit with the liner on Rockford. Hardest part was moving in such a heavy stove. I knocked a couple bricks off the back side and grinded a little bit of the damper frame. Done in a day. I got my enviro on Facebook marketplace.

The Escape 1800 insert requires at least 12 ft of liner from stove top to chimney top. Measure again. You are close. It might work without an extension to the liner. Definitely insulate the liner to help performance. I'd also plan on adding an insulated block-off plate in the damper area.

Thanks for the warm welcome (pun intended), fellas. I think I'll pull the trigger on the Escape 1800 and a DIY install. I'll probably pull a permit from the County and get it inspected, for piece of mind. Got a couple projects to finish up, then will get going on this in a month or 2. I'm sure I'll have a question or two along the way.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Good luck. Keep us posted and remember that a modern stove needs fully seasoned firewood to perform well.

Thanks for the warm welcome (pun intended), fellas. I think I'll pull the trigger on the Escape 1800 and a DIY install. I'll probably pull a permit from the County and get it inspected, for piece of mind. Got a couple projects to finish up, then will get going on this in a month or 2. I'm sure I'll have a question or two along the way.
Keep us updated along the way. Pics also!

Alright...so the insert has been purchased. Got a Drolet Escape 1800 through Costco, which came to a little over $1,500 shipped to my door. The kit included the faceplace, flexible liner, and the various venting components. I'm going to order a liner insulation kit and some various odds-and-ends from Rockford, then I should be good to go with the install.

I've been processing a bunch of pretty dry windthrow trees throughout the summer, but I plan on purchasing and using a moisture meter before I start burning.

I'll start an install thread once I get to work on this. I've got a couple other projects to finish up, so I probably won't get started for a month or so. I'm hoping to get this thing up-and-running before the holiday season; I really don't want the kids asking questions about how is Santa going to fit down 6" chimney liner (By the way, how does Santa fit down a 6" chimney liner???)

insert.JPG

wood.JPG

By the way, how does Santa fit down a 6" chimney liner
About the same way he fit through the thimble for the parlor stove in the old farm house. I think it was suggested he came down the stairs instead. I think Orion and Canis Major had to be explained around then also - "how did they get up there".

Alright...so the insert has been purchased. Got a Drolet Escape 1800 through Costco, which came to a little over $1,500 shipped to my door. The kit included the faceplace, flexible liner, and the various venting components. I'm going to order a liner insulation kit and some various odds-and-ends from Rockford, then I should be good to go with the install.

I've been processing a bunch of pretty dry windthrow trees throughout the summer, but I plan on purchasing and using a moisture meter before I start burning.

I'll start an install thread once I get to work on this. I've got a couple other projects to finish up, so I probably won't get started for a month or so. I'm hoping to get this thing up-and-running before the holiday season; I really don't want the kids asking questions about how is Santa going to fit down 6" chimney liner (By the way, how does Santa fit down a 6" chimney liner???)

View attachment 263331

View attachment 263332
Thats a good deal for a DIYer.

Hi all, first post here. I just followed the same path as you did @Riteway and did a DIY install on the Escape 1800 from Costco. It was a fair amount of work, but I'm very happy with the choice and excited to have the insert to heat our cabin this fall. I bought the insulation kit from Rockford and it was very straight forward to work with.

My install was similar in that the roof was flat enough I was comfortable working on it, and the distance from my chimney cap to the block off plate was right on 12'. The way my fireplace is shaped the lowest option for installing the block off plate is the lowest course of bricks in the chimney, which is about three feet above the top of the stove. I insulated the liner between the block off plate and the chimney cap, and used extra insulation from the kit to insulate the block off plate.

The hardest part of the install was getting the liner and coupler into the stove--I had sealed the liner at the block off plate with furnace cement and therefore only had the flexibility of the liner between the block off plate and the stove to work with. I had carefully measured to make sure the liner would fully seat in the coupler, and the coupler would fully seat in the stove. The liner is not very flexible, and I only had about three inches between the top of the stove and the top of the fireplace opening to get my arms into, so it took some effort to get the pieces into place, but it worked out fine. The stove is really heavy--lifting it off of the ground took three people, but once we had it off the ground two people can carry it, though it is a bear. Be careful when moving it around.

One suggestion--I made my own liner pulling cone out of a $2 funnel and some rope. I attached it to the end of the liner with sheet metal screws and duct tape and had a buddy pulling down from inside while I was on the roof inserting the liner. Very easy, and made it a breeze to get the liner down the chimney.

We finished the install Labor Day weekend and it was too warm to fire it up. Looking forward to our first fires this fall.

Good luck!

Reactions: begreen