Want to order a liner tomorrow...from where,what thickness, brand?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

struggle

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 24, 2006
NW Iowa
I am going to reline our 8x8 tile chimney. After a constant battle with the creosote coming down after the rebuild of the Vigilant it is clear that now that the stove behaves in a manner which it was meant to that it clearly has exposed and issue in the clay liner (it is assumed there is a crack allowing cold air in and is creating the moisture problem. I have tried sealing everything that I can short of doing the liner.

I am after 6" SS flexible liner. IT will drop down 3/4 of the way down the chimney in an almost straight fashion and then make a 45 deg turn, short straight section then another 45 turn into an about 20" straight run to the wall where the stove will connect to it.

What do I need to complete this install?

What online company would you go to or not go to.

I am eyeing forever flex liner from the chimney store. Good bad or some where else better.

I would need a chimney sealing plate and cap and a cementable thimble connector at the bottom to connect the stove to? Is that all?

I am planning on selling the Vigilant and going soapstone. Not sure yet wether it will be hearthstone hertiage or woodstock fireveiw. Leaning more toward the Woodstock as I have yet to see one bad thing about them and plenty of issues with the hertiage.

I can drive 80 miles from here and have a heritage tomorrow. Woodstock would be more time.

Isn't the Vigilant specced at 8" round? I don't think it's a good idea to choke it down to 6" unless a new stove is coming with the reline.

I don't know if the short turns you are planning can be done with out elbows, but the best quality liner for the buck (that I found) is at Rockford supply--type in "flex liner kits" at e-bay. They're a small outfit (low overhead) with miminal tech support that sells Olympic .006 316 ss. I bought a 6"x20' kit for under $350 and a .5" ins. kit for under $200 (free shipping!) Don't rush your install; patience with help from the experience of the guys on this forum will prove to be invaluable!!

BeGreen said:
Isn't the Vigilant specced at 8" round? I don't think it's a good idea to choke it down to 6" unless a new stove is coming with the reline.

I am going to get another stove. Most likely a Hearthstone Heritage.

I just purchased from Rockford Supply/ Fast Shipping/ Great quality
25' liner, top hat and connection to stove 389.00.

Since I'm researching liner kits at the moment.. I want to update this thread with the latest info. The Chimney Store is cheaper than Rockford Supply at ebay far as liner kits are concerned. Thats without their 10% call-in discount...

just a FYI..

When I saw this I thought how did this come back up again.

Here is an update to what has happened since this post.

I bought a 5.5" x25' Forever Flex liner kit. It had everything from top to bottom. Cost was $513.00 delivered from Chimney liner depot

Installation went good until I got to the last 18" of getting through the last turn. With a helper in the basement and me on the chimney we were able to push/pull it through.

I burned the last half of the season with it with a new Mansfield stove. Draft is borderline to strong and so I put a dampner in place.

At the end of our burn season I swept the liner and to my amazement I got less than a half of a pop can full of dust out of it.

All I can say is a 5.5 liner will run exceptional well with a Mansfield in my situation.

Running an EPA new stove is a dream compared to the old Vigilant which in its day was a great woodburner but nothing compared to what I am running now. I think I only had to cold start less then 5 fires after we went to full heating around the clock. The rest of the fires were started with coals from the previous night.

Being able to see the fire all the time is priceless entertainment.

chimney liner depot is where I got mine. my stove calls for an 8 inch. I had to ovalize it. I spent hours trying to get it down the 6x14 space in my chimney by myself. eventually I had to put a pull rope on the bottom and my wife pulled while I pushed. Iknow it's not a completely straight shot up....it's kinked a bit. but it is what it is now. If I had it to do over I would have gone with a 6 inch line and and 6 to 8 adapter. Especially since most new stoves call for 6 inch. at some point I'll have to put a new stove in and we'll see if I need a new liner.
Draft is very good. The only problem I ran into was near the end of the season when the cap clogged up and I had to get up there and clean it off. Such is life.

Status
Not open for further replies.