Want UPS Recommendation for a Lopi Leyden

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

defield

Hearth Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
South Central Maine
Want a UPS for my soon to be installed Lopi Leyden which will sit in front of an existing fireplace in our Cape Cod house with a 4" SS liner to the chimney top.

Would like to hear about specific models readers would recommend for a modest expendature ( $90.00 - $150.00).

The stove is rated at using 180 Watts during operation and 400 watts for start up.

My main needs are to protect the stove's main circuit board against short power disruptions and give us time to shut the stove off if power is to be out for extended periods. ( We have a wood boiler that would be used for heat during those times.) Do not have, and do not plan to purchase a generator.

I have searched this site and read all ( or most all ) of the information about pure sine waves, run times, wattages, AVR, etc. and looked at the APC and other UPS sites.

I am thinking of an APC RS 800 VA, model BR800BLK, but would like to hear from other Lopi leyden owners as well as owners of other brand stoves.

TOO MANY CHOICES . . . .. .

Thanks.

You will most likely get mixed responses to this question. There are several options that stove owners use. Some prefer battery and inverter. Some prefer generator. Some prefer UPS. Then there are the discussions of pure sine wave or not. You need to determin your needs.

1. What are you looking to spend?
2. Do you feel comfortable with a battery sitting around?
2. Is a generator a feasible option?
4. How much battery backup time do need?

I bought a similar model to what your looking at. Short backup time, includes AVR. Inexpensive UPS units will not give much battery backup time. Sampled wave patterns may or may not work your stove motors. Batteries and inverters give longer backup time. Portable generators require you to be there to take care of things. Some may or may not run the stove correctly. Depends on how clean their power supply is.

I keep my stove plugged in to my UPS to take advantage of the AVR and the surge protection. If I loose power, my plans are to use a portable generator, but run it through the AVR to keep the stove supply clean.

I am sure you will get a lot of opinions on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.