warm upstairs, cool downstairs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nanama72

Mar 9, 2008
Western MA
We have an open floor plan, a cathedral ceiling and a pellet stove insert. Our downstairs stays in low to mid 60's and upstairs is in the 70's. Last year we used the ceiling fans and that did help but caused a breeze that I didn't care for. I'm wondering if people have experience using the whole house fan to blow the air around. Does that more evenly distribute the heat? I should also mention that we have one room closed off downstairs and 2 rooms closed off upstairs that we do not currently heat. The goal would simply be for the downstairs to be warmer.

Thanks.

My old log home had a floor plan similar to your's, and I can tell you from experience that running the fan on your central heat system does not help... I too had to use my ceiling fans on low, blowing down... From the floor to the top of my ceiling was 20' and my fans ran 24/7 in the winter... My new home has only 8' ceilings and my stove will run you out, I loved my log home and miss it except Dec.-Feb.

As the saying goes...heat rises!

I know cathedral ceilings look great, make you feel like your room is bigger, but honestly it's horrible to waste heating a space you can only...........if you look up..........to heat!!!!

Use your ceiling fans to blow UP, the heat will then blow back down, use only on low

Status
Not open for further replies.