WARNING - ELECTRICS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r_d_gard

Nov 9, 2009
Maryland - USA
www.cff.org
I posted this comment the other day on a different thread and, upon reflection, thought that it may need another thread to isolate the thought on Electric malfunction.
Ray

I moved into my current house back in september ‘08. That winter, with only the fireplace, I have never been so cold in my life. Whatever heat the damn thing generated went straight up the chimney. The chimney, around the fire box had this thing callled a Heatalator and there was a switch on the wall. It would suck cold air in the bottom vents and circle the air around the back of the steel firebox and push it out the top vents. After several weeks of using this Heatalator thing, it failed (house was 28years old when I brought it). Every time I would turn it on it would trip and circuit breaker would shut it off. Off I’d go into the garage and flip it back on. After a couple of weeks of doing this we just gave up and put a pit of tape across it so we wouldn’t use it. The tape stayed there for 10 months until I ripped the fireplace out, removed the Heatalator and all the wiring. And there was the answer. The shoddy workmanship when they built the house resulted in the melting of all the plastic off the the wire and the bare wires touching each other causing the short. That heatalator is gone for good. There are four holes where the little fans and vent covers once were attached. They are a stark reminder that I could have burnt the house down. What is even worse is that when the fans always shorted out there was an acrid burning smell that at the time I even knew was electrically created, yet I didn’t put two and two together.

In short

CHECK YOUR ELECTRICS

rayza said:
I posted this comment the other day on a different thread and, upon reflection, thought that it may need another thread to isolate the thought on Electric malfunction.
Ray

I moved into my current house back in september ‘08. That winter, with only the fireplace, I have never been so cold in my life. Whatever heat the damn thing generated went straight up the chimney. The chimney, around the fire box had this thing callled a Heatalator and there was a switch on the wall. It would suck cold air in the bottom vents and circle the air around the back of the steel firebox and push it out the top vents. After several weeks of using this Heatalator thing, it failed (house was 28years old when I brought it). Every time I would turn it on it would trip and circuit breaker would shut it off. Off I’d go into the garage and flip it back on. After a couple of weeks of doing this we just gave up and put a pit of tape across it so we wouldn’t use it. The tape stayed there for 10 months until I ripped the fireplace out, removed the Heatalator and all the wiring. And there was the answer. The shoddy workmanship when they built the house resulted in the melting of all the plastic off the the wire and the bare wires touching each other causing the short. That heatalator is gone for good. There are four holes where the little fans and vent covers once were attached. They are a stark reminder that I could have burnt the house down. What is even worse is that when the fans always shorted out there was an acrid burning smell that at the time I even knew was electrically created, yet I didn’t put two and two together.

In short

CHECK YOUR ELECTRICS

I'm no electrical wizard, but that would have set off a lot of red flags for me.

I ran into a similiar setup 30 years ago. A brick fireplace with metal box for a firebox, there was a pair of louvers down low and up high on either side of the firebox in the brinkc work with a electric fan behind the upper grilles. One day the fans wouldnt work and they had a "bad circuit breaker" (it wouldnt reset). When we finally figured out what was wrong with the circuit breaker (nothing) and pulled the grilles we found a piece of romex running from the fan switch to one of the fans and then across the back of the steel box to the other fan. When we pulled the wire it was melted. I always wondered how many other fireplaces were out there with a similiar set up.

I've got one where one of the blowers didn't turn. Pulled out a couple of bricks, and found the fan blade had been mortared in place at the original install - so it never had worked. New fan fixed that problem, but still relatively worthless when it comes to actual heat production. That fireplace is really 'Just for show, not for go.'

What's the heatproof wire spec for such applications?

RenovationGeorge said:

Really good question, but I don't know.

JV_Thimble said:
RenovationGeorge said:

Really good question, but I don't know.

Thanks. It seems plastic is going to melt no matter how it's encased, so I suppose specialized wire with some sort of inert cladding.

the plastics sheathing ;romex' is only good for around 250 deg. direct temps. (this is standard 12-14 gauge 3-4 wire bundles) i have heard higher but I like to air on he side of caution. Any electrical wire thats around such a heat source, especial a constant one, should be in conduit or the spiral armour. Think recessed lighting for example, not nearly the same heat generated yet all have armoured wire...i have a heat-a-lator as well, it sucks, I just dont use the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.