Was a chilly 71 degrees out so I decided to light the first fire in the Englander 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pen

There are some who call me...mod.
Staff member
Aug 2, 2007
N.E. Penna
Not that you all haven't seen a fire burn in a 30 already, but I got the new stove installed last Wednesday and just couldn't bear to wait any longer to light it.

My rationalization (because the wife is completely certain that I have lost what little mind I had left) was to fire it when we didn't need the heat so that we could air the room out from the stink associated with the stove polish that was used on it.

My concern with this new stove has been that the house would smell smokey as I've been in several homes with modern stoves that developed that issue. Considering it was 71 degrees outside, and about 73 in the room I lit the stove in, and had no wood smoke smell issues, I'm fairly certain that I'll be A-OK when the weather actually becomes appropriate for burning.

Now it's just wait and see how she cranks the heat in comparison to the old Fisher, how my burn times are, and if I can get this stove to do a top-down fire.

Here's a few shots I took just because I'm a picture junkie.

I never seem to get good pics of a wood stove, but here goes anyway.

Englander30004-1.jpg

Englander30002-1.jpg

Englander30015-1.jpg

Its in the 70's here, and I have my 3rd fire in my new woodfurnace. I'm curing the paint before hooking it into the ductwork. Just from what I have seen with my upgrade, I will burn far less wood and get more heat. Plus I find the fire mystical, the secondaries just baffle me. We have a old, musty damp basement, and I find myself wanting to sit in front of the furnace. Lol

Great looking stove. I am anxious to hear your results. My Hutch Rebel is a clone of a Grandma Bear, and I haven't yet been able to convince myself to upgrade. Sure would be nice to clean the chimney less,creosote buid up is the only issue I have with my current stove.

You're still gonna get some stink from the paint curing when you start heating this fall, but getting a burn or two in now while you can still open the windows will certainly help.

You're gonna love that 30.

-SF

OK it is in and has had a fire in it. Time for your T-shirt.

Attachments

• englander t shirt.jpg
    englander t shirt.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 520
BrotherBart said:
OK it is in and has had a fire in it. Time for your T-shirt.

That is absolutely outstanding!

pen

cmonSTART said:
good looking stove. You obviously have good taste!

Thanks, and wouldn't you know I also run a Husky 350, maul and wedge.

pen

In the 70's and a fire going??? Your wife is right! :cheese:

Congrats on getting the new stove going!!!

Hi Pen
BrotherBart said you are now the resident expert on the NC30. We just fired it off for the first time a few days ago. I got good heat, but was wondering what tips and tricks you have come up with on this stove to get the best value for the wood in heat and burn times. Also what would constitute overfire on the stovetop or flue? . Here is a link to my post on decision making before we bought this stove. Thought we would give this stove a go and see how it did. looks like the heat transfer to the main floor is OK. I really need to figure out how to post a pic here!
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/60971/

Thought you might get a kick out of seeing this old post!!
Edited to add, I have seasoned oak, aspen and cedar at my disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.