Was having some issues with the pellet stove, Think I got it figured out.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zenn68

Sep 26, 2010
Hudson Valley NY
Recently purchased a used Englander 25PUF from CL. Being my first pellet stove I didnt know what to expect from it. The problem is that it's not putting out that much heat. If I stand about 4-5 feet away from it, the air coming out of the front of it s almost a cool breeze instead of warm air. Thanks to the good folks at the Englander support desk who gave me a lot of info about the stove and many suggestions on what to try. I finally took it apart today, pulled out the auger and feed tube and discovered the blade round the auger lost a weld point and was curling back onto itself. I gave it a good cleaning, pounded it back into shape, now its running a lot smoother and actually feeding a proper amount of pellets into the burn pot instead of 1 or 2 pelllets every other cycle. Also took care of the horrific grinding noise it made which I tought was just normal for a pellet stove.

The other issue the techs mentioned is that the pellets I'm using are probably not putting out that much heat. Anybody have experience with pellets from Tractor Supply, on the bag is listed as Instant Heat, 100% hardwood, premium pellets. The other I found locally is Allegheny brand for a bit more $$. Would the Allegheny be a good choice or should I save a few bucks and try the Home Depot pellets?

I agree with Scott....neither of those pellets will give a lot of heat. If you have a Lowes near you on your side of the Hudson, give them a call and ask if they have any Somerset pellets (don't bother calling the Newburgh Lowes...Somersets are all sold out). If they do, run (don't walk) and get as many tons as you can ASAP.....GREAT pellet.

Other than those, the Tractor Supply in Highlands on Rt. 9w has Hardwood Heat (Hamer's re-bagged)....very good pellet too.

zenn68 said:
Recently purchased a used Englander 25PUF from CL. Being my first pellet stove I didnt know what to expect from it. The problem is that it's not putting out that much heat. If I stand about 4-5 feet away from it, the air coming out of the front of it s almost a cool breeze instead of warm air. Thanks to the good folks at the Englander support desk who gave me a lot of info about the stove and many suggestions on what to try. I finally took it apart today, pulled out the auger and feed tube and discovered the blade round the auger lost a weld point and was curling back onto itself. I gave it a good cleaning, pounded it back into shape, now its running a lot smoother and actually feeding a proper amount of pellets into the burn pot instead of 1 or 2 pelllets every other cycle. Also took care of the horrific grinding noise it made which I tought was just normal for a pellet stove.

The other issue the techs mentioned is that the pellets I'm using are probably not putting out that much heat. Anybody have experience with pellets from Tractor Supply, on the bag is listed as Instant Heat, 100% hardwood, premium pellets. The other I found locally is Allegheny brand for a bit more $$. Would the Allegheny be a good choice or should I save a few bucks and try the Home Depot pellets?

Try closing the intake baffle a little. Also, if you have a plate above your firebox that seperates if from the runners make sure its positioned correctly and that all the heat is forced to travel the entire distance across the runners before it goes up the flue.
Thats what I had to do with my Earth Stove insert. My heat is 75% hotter. I am running Freedom Fuel from Home Depot.

zenn68 said:
Not sure how to do either of those things. Anybody know if this is possible on my stove

No air draft on your stove, AFAIK. Just keep the stove clean to keep air moving through it well. Not sure about the "impingement plate" like some other Englander stoves have. If it's there, it will be directly above burn pot, and will be removable for cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.