Was this overheated?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Paint looks a little faded but it doesn't look overfired from those pics. Looks like a good deal.

Yea I would say thats a bargain, probably a $1800 stove. Certainly a look inside would tell you a lot but from the outside it looks fine

i just bought mine new this week paid 1800 for it if the guy thats local to me that has one used for sale woyld have given me a price i would have MOSt likely bought his but he was still thinking about it oh well his loss lol looks like a good deal for 450

That's what I'm thinking... It seems like too good of a deal. When I see a screaming deal I always want to say, overfired... fell off the truck or something... I'm looking for a stove for the cabin, but being it's only 700 sq ft I think this is a mite big.

Matt

Really right now with the economy and the tax break on new stoves (plus its summer time) the maket for used stoves is probably pretty tough.

But yea that could really run ya out of 700sq ft, but for $450.00 I would probably learn to manage the fire a bit... tough call

yea this is a TAD! big for 700 sq but hey you might be able to keep a good burn on low i donno though

Looks pretty decent to me. If the cabin is leaky or poorly insulated then it might be fine. Give it a fresh coat of paint and it would look great.

I'm no expert in used stoves, but I don't see any really white or light colored sections of the stove to indicate possible over-firing . . . as noted it is light gray all over . . . which it seems a lot of steel and cast iron stoves do over time.

Give the guy a call and see when he bought it, how he ran it, etc. . . . and if you like the answers go for it if it suits your needs and space.

I'd look it over real close.............looking for a door that doesn't seat right, or fire bricks (if any) that may need replacing, or a lousy or missing door gasket (not a big expense to replace or repair however), or a damper that doesn't function. Unfortunately, you can't "fire it up" to see how she burns, and you won't know how it will draft until you have it installed.

I think the lower price may be due to the fact that not ALL people in this world want a stand alone wood stove. We feel as if we are in a huge group (and indeed there ARE many of us who burn wood for heat), but we are proportionately small, compared to the overall population. The seller may have a need to see it go, and may also think there is not much of a market for it (and there may not BE, in his area).

Perhaps the lower price of it, is like trying to sell a set of lungs to a lung-replacement candidate, that belonged to a smoker.

-Soupy1957

I could be wrong but the looks a little rusted, nothing major , the light color is age but also the flash on his camera..... I would get .... there isn't anything wrong that can't be fixed (look for any cracks) get some stove paint it will look brand new!

Status
Not open for further replies.