Washington Parlor 318

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

s60088

Mar 12, 2024
Southern Delaware
I found and bought this woodstove locally in Delaware/Maryland. Someone mentioned it being from the 1930s which seems to match the style. Can someone date it? I cannot find any information on the stove. Is this Washington Stove Works? Is it wood or wood/coal? It is holding a good fire but certainly not overnight as it's airy. I love all of the moving and detachable parts. I hope that someone knows something to add.

20240211_145240.jpg20240211_145250.jpg20240120_110741.jpg20240120_110724.jpg20240120_110703.jpg20240120_110652.jpg

Reactions: Piney
I found and bought this woodstove locally in Delaware/Maryland. Someone mentioned it being from the 1930s which seems to match the style. Can someone date it? I cannot find any information on the stove. Is this Washington Stove Works? Is it wood or wood/coal? It is holding a good fire but certainly not overnight as it's airy. I love all of the moving and detachable parts. I hope that someone knows something to add.
View attachment 325727

View attachment 325728

View attachment 325729

View attachment 325730

View attachment 325731

View attachment 325732
It's a coal stove I can tell you that much. I would guess teens to 20s

Reactions: s60088
Just replaced an 1895 McClary (12b, the belle oak) similar to that. It was in the master bedroom. The third fire in sequence would heat well for a couple hours and feebly for another 2-3 hours. Lived with it for years. I have a great burn scar from backing in to it one winter night a decade or so ago. Nuclear level heat.
We installed an epa approved log burner in its place. I miss the dangerous beast.

Just replaced an 1895 McClary (12b, the belle oak) similar to that. It was in the master bedroom. The third fire in sequence would heat well for a couple hours and feebly for another 2-3 hours. Lived with it for years. I have a great burn scar from backing in to it one winter night a decade or so ago. Nuclear level heat.
We installed an epa approved log burner in its place. I miss the dangerous beast.
Nuclear heat level. 😅

Reactions: Piney
It's a coal stove I can tell you that much. I would guess teens to 20s
You're the second person to suggest that it was a coal stove. How does one tell? I understand the ash door for clean-out. Would there necessarily have been a shaker-grate ? The grate inside for wood coule have been inverted to hold coals up for airflow but I don't see how there would have been any other component.

You're the second person to suggest that it was a coal stove. How does one tell? I understand the ash door for clean-out. Would there necessarily have been a shaker-grate ? The grate inside for wood coule have been inverted to hold coals up for airflow but I don't see how there would have been any other component.
Air coming in the bottom is a dead give away. The notch at the top edge of the ash door opening is probably where the handle for the shaker grate slid in.