Wasp nest in chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ejbailey

Feb 19, 2022
Monroe, CT
I recently had a wasp nest in my chimney that I sprayed. They were entering through a hole in the mortar. I assume that on the inside there is a nest between the brick and stove pipe (I have an inset). Should this be a concern to me? Or would it just quickly ignite and go up the original chimney?

I'm not a pro, but I wouldn't worry. I'm betting the wasp nest has the mass of a couple of sheets of newspaper. If it catches between a pipe and brick there isn't much to worry about. Is there wood anywhere in the set up?

Reactions: Ctwoodtick
Not a pro either but I agree, very little to burn.

They can get a little nutty when their food source goes away in the fall. If somebody in your household is allergic this can be something to worry about.

I don’t think you’re going to find a person who will dig it out of your chimney though. You may want to make sure it’s dead and doesn’t grow any more. Limiting the flammable material in your chimney is a good idea. I’ve taken out some pretty big nests. The largest was a 16” on center stud bay in a wall, packed from top to bottom.