1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wasps in the woodpile

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by gyrfalcon, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbcijim

mbcijim Member

Loc:
    Schuylkill County, Pa
    Someone else suggested carharts, and along the same lines I'd suggest:

1. Long Pants & Shirt
    2. Gloves & Hat
    3. Rubber bands at bottom of pants and end of shirt sleeve.
    4. I have an archery face mask (sort of bank robberish) made of mosquito netting (about $5) that I put on backwards (the holes are in my hair on the back of my head).

Go get em. I've done this a few times and never been stung.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. gyrfalcon

gyrfalcon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Champlain Valley, Vermont
    Heh. That's pretty much the mental list of armor I've been making myself. Good to know you've escaped unharmed.

I went up and took a look at it (through binos!) this evening, and it looks like the yellowjacket nest isn't under the part that fell over, but in a gap between a couple of bottom splits and the 2x4 they're resting on. All the insects I could see were coming and going out of that one small gap, and that will make nuking them a bit easier. I'm planning to assemble my suit of armor tomorrow and prepare to do battle at dusk. If I don't post again, call the funeral home!
  3. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Hey when your getting stung...you have to take action. Some folks are allergic to bee stings and can die from them. The stinging insects drew 1st blood so there's no dishonor in the judicious use of nerve gas. In that other topic bees weren't even discussed.

When the nest has calmed down carefully remove the logs your going to re-stack away from the suspected wasp nest. If your slow and no threat to them they'll just leave you alone and be content with the occasional fly by. Work slowly and don't bounce the removed logs on top of one another...they just hate that. When you get to the nest or hole in the ground...you'll know what to do. Have faith...they won't bother you.
  4. crazy_dan

crazy_dan New Member

Loc:
    Missouri
    Step 1: Go buy a sack of onions to cut in half and apply to the sting. This really does work takes the fire right out of a sting.
    Step 2: wait until dark sneak up on them when they are sleeping
    Step 3: Stack a little wood until you disturb them
    Step 4: quit for a while lull them into a false sense of security
    Step 5: wait till they are asleep again
    Step 6: repeat from step 3 until you uncover their lair
    Step 7: eradicate them any way you see fit

Step 8: bask in your glorious victory over the marauding horde of stinging exoskeletal minion :)
  5. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    Carb cleaner is methyl alcohol
  6. rkshed

rkshed Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Bedford NH
    Brake cleaner is the best!
    Gasoline down a Yellow jacket hole works great too.
  7. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Once you locate the nest, there is nothing that works better than a pressure washer. Then run like hell.
  8. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    That just relocates them. I usually want them dead.

Eastern Yellow Jackets (from Germany) are a major and painful pest around here, and sound like what you're describing. Relatively small and cute, but they sting repeatedly when provoked, and a single nest can contain several thousand yellow jackets. They typically build their nest underground, or at the base of a tree, but will also take advantage of things like hollow logs and woodpiles. They're extremely agressive, and my last sting left me in pain for several days, and with swelling that lasted close to two months. Others have a less severe reaction, but no one I know is fond of them. Not being native, their's no excuse for sparing their lives! They're not honey bees.

Found two European Wasps in my third floor suite last week. They're the most enormous damn wasp I've ever seen (think small bird), but thankfully, much less agressive.
  9. Wade A.

Wade A. Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South
    Whisky and sand. They get drunk and then throw rocks at each other.
    rkshed and firebroad like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.