1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Wasting Firewood

Post in 'The Gear' started by Cutter, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Loc:
    Tecumseh Kansas
    I needed a new small mallet for some of my better chisels. So I decided to chuck up some hedge (Osage Orange) in the lathe and make one. After I was done, I thought that it was so pretty that I would waste some more wood. Next came the large maul head which I still have to turn a handle for. Then the smaller maul. The head weighs just under 6lbs. I thought that I would use it instead of a sledgehammer on falling wedges sense I just finished dressing them off after having them way too mushroomed and starting to split off little pieces of schrapnel.
    A bonus to my puttering around was that I swept up my turnings off the floor and mixed them up with some melted wax to make some fire starters. Once it gets cold and we are burning 24/7 we never need to start a fire. So I have enough startes to last a looooong time. FYI, a piece 1"X1.5"X2" burns for about 12 minutes. How does that compare with store bought ones?
    Brads

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. crazy_dan

crazy_dan New Member

Loc:
    Missouri
    I wouldn't call it a waste of fire wood.
    Personally I think misappropriation of fire wood would be more pleasing to the ears.
    I think you did a great job and since you did make the shavings in to fire starters at least most if the tree will wind up in the stove.
    I sure would have thought you could have got a little more out of 4 trees than 1 full mallet and 2 mallet heads ;-P
  3. kenny chaos

kenny chaos Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester,ny
    Chisel what you need to chisel and toss them in the stove.
  4. CTburning

CTburning New Member

Loc:
    Western CT
    That's not firewood, it's bow wood. Bois d arc
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.