Watch Out For Flying Embers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodywilson

Hearth Supporter
Dec 10, 2010
SE MICH
A warning for newbies out there-- I am only 2 months into burning now everything has gone smooth from install to burning to my first chimney sweep-- but today while loading I had a pc of wood pop very loudly-- worried I inspected the carpet around the hearth for an escaped ember none to be found went on about my business about 6-10 minutes later there was a burning smell in the room upon further investigation my wife found a rug we have under the coffee table with a hole smoldering in it about 6-7 feet from stove . LESSON learned If wood pops when loading be diligent when looking look beyond hearth area!! never thought an ember could have sot out that far without me noticing.

Good warning. Some wood can really pop! I've had embers shoot out 5-6ft. Fortunately that's pretty rare, but with certain wood it is an issue.

Tell me about it, I'm a newbie too and have had my share of flying embers. If you ever read any of my posts, you know how I feel about polyester robes, sinched the arm, and there are a couple burn holes in it in the front from flying embers. You can never be too safe when burning wood!!!!!!!!!!!!pen had a funny incident when loading the stove and he could have had the family jewels injured from a dancing coal. :lol: Be safe everyone..wood burning is fun but ya gotta stay safe....

Glad you found it when you did. Just wait untill you get what I call the fireworks. The wood makes a small pop sending a small ember into the air, then that ember in turn goes crack and you have a bunch of little sparks flying around.

Shawn

Hedge (osage orange) will do that badly. Have to be careful I guess.

I've found that it helps to cut down on wood popping if you open the door slowly, just crack it open at first, leave it like that for a few seconds, then continue to open it bit by bit. It seems when you just yank it open, that rush of air and oxy makes for more pops.

Adkjake-- I believe your on to something there. WhenI first started I would open the air first then open door very slowly well 2 months later I am ripping the door open juggling splits and tossing them behind my back in the stove. Going back to square one- safety safety safety!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.