watch where you park the tractor when the wind blows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leaddog

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2007
Hesperia, Michigan
Windy out today so I thought I would just cut up some of the dead stuff on the ground. I know enough to not put trees down when the wind is blowing as they can get away from you. I was loading in to the bucket and heard a snap. turned around and this was on the tractor. 16in hemlock was rotten on one side. Barberchaired about 15ft above the ground. Didn't hurt anything but as soon as I heard it I turned and it was already on the ground. Makes me realize that you can't move fast enough if they are comming down.

Attachments

• feb18-2011 220.jpg
    feb18-2011 220.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 807
  • feb18-2011 218.jpg
    feb18-2011 218.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 805
  • feb18-2011 221.jpg
    feb18-2011 221.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 809
  • feb18-2011 219.jpg
    feb18-2011 219.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 799
c'mon man!!! what the heck are you doing in the woods when it is windy??? it only takes a small wind-blown branch to kabong you on the noggin. then you are lying on the ground with a mouthful of broken teeth, unconscious!!! stay out of the woods when it is windy. sorry about your tractor.

No damage to anything. I had the farmi winch on and have a hard top over the ROPS. I was just cutting up some down trees and stuff and was in the part of the woods where most of the stuff is fairly small. The snow pack is mostly gone, was 2ft last week and the sun was shining. The wind has really picked up this afternoon but wasn't to bad when I went out. After looking at the tree I can see where the wood peckers were working hard on it but on the side I was parked on it looked solid.
leaddog

i have seen 3 or 4 trees fall in the woods over the years while hunting...and its like HUH!!! 'glad i wasnt over there' :cheese:

good to hear no damage leaddog ;-)

loon

I had the wind do this on monday, I put some felling cuts in it and got it to start leaning, calling for high winds tommorow hoping it will work its way down once the trunk goes over, don't want to be around when that happens probably have to restack that pile but that and a few springpoles should be the worst that can happen if I'm not underneath it

Attachments

• P2180004.jpg
    P2180004.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 761
I was in the house asleep when it happened, but a tree bisected my garden tractor a few years ago. Three days after I had finished it. I had bought a new one and pulled the old one in the garage and every night after works for weeks did a restoration on it to dedicate it to hauling wood out of the woods and snow plowing. Tons of new parts, paint job and body work on the old girl.

And a pine tree broke in the night in the wind and totaled the thing.

roxys dad said:
I had the wind do this on monday, I put some felling cuts in it and got it to start leaning, calling for high winds tommorow hoping it will work its way down once the trunk goes over, don't want to be around when that happens probably have to restack that pile but that and a few springpoles should be the worst that can happen if I'm not underneath it

Thanks for reminding me. I have one in a nasty spot that I have intended to set up for a wind storm for a year and always forget. Sixty mile an hour gusts coming after midnight and after reading your post I went down and notched it and put a back cut in it in the nick of time before the sun was gone.

BrotherBart said:
I was in the house asleep when it happened, but a tree bisected my garden tractor a few years ago. Three days after I had finished it. I had bought a new one and pulled the old one in the garage and every night after works for weeks did a restoration on it to dedicate it to hauling wood out of the woods and snow plowing. Tons of new parts, paint job and body work on the old girl.

And a pine tree broke in the night in the wind and totaled the thing.

it was at that very moment that i swore to avenge the destruction of my tractor by burning as much of those damn-blasted trees in as many stoves as i could install in my house!!!!!!!!

I know a guy that died a few years ago from a tree falling on their tent. Scout camping on a windy night. Son woke up with Dad smashed under the tree.

yooperdave said:
c'mon man!!! what the heck are you doing in the woods when it is windy??? it only takes a small wind-blown branch to kabong you on the noggin. then you are lying on the ground with a mouthful of broken teeth, unconscious!!! stay out of the woods when it is windy. sorry about your tractor.

leaddog said:
Windy out today so I thought I would just cut up some of the dead stuff on the ground. I know enough to not put trees down when the wind is blowing as they can get away from you. I was loading in to the bucket and heard a snap. turned around and this was on the tractor. 16in hemlock was rotten on one side. Barberchaired about 15ft above the ground. Didn't hurt anything but as soon as I heard it I turned and it was already on the ground. Makes me realize that you can't move fast enough if they are comming down.

Yuppers. It happens too fast. Wind like we had yesterday, I stay out of the woods. Goes back to our logging days. Windy days are days off work. A day off work is better than making a widow.

On days like today (60 mph gusts), I'm happy we have taken down all our tall trees. Not sure whether this clearing was purely safety related or the results of my insatiable demands for firewood. In any case, I watch the neighbors' trees wave in the wind and am glad I'm across the street.

Widow makers, silent and deadly. Be safe.
Ed

i went cutting last fall with a friend and his son when a wind picked up in the middle of a felling cut that tree did an about face on the stump and went 180 degrees from where it should have luckily everyone was out of the way. living on the bald prairies winds pick up out of nowhere and are gone as fast as they come can't really predict it sometimes, just have to be careful!
pics of the garden tractor BB. that must have really pissed you off :bug:

roxys dad said:
Big Red oak almost leveled a house in Ridgewood NJ yesterday Owners were out of town

Been in the woods with practically no wind and had a tree fall about thirty feet from us on a public hiking trail. If I waited for days there was no wind I would never get a supply of wood and I would miss a lot of deer hunting too.

Update:

That red oak I notched and back cut night before last stood there through thirty six hours of thirty mile an hour winds with fifty five and sixty MPH gusts just leaning and swaying and not going down. On a lousy two inch hinge!

Grabbed the saw this morning after the wind died and put the thing on the ground. >:-( Bucked out 42 rounds out of it this afternoon.

BrotherBart said:
Update:

That red oak I notched and back cut night before last stood there through thirty six hours of thirty mile an hour winds with fifty five and sixty MPH gusts just leaning and swaying and not going down. On a lousy two inch hinge!

Grabbed the saw this morning after the wind died and put the thing on the ground. >:-( Bucked out 42 rounds out of it this afternoon.

A tree that tough will probably split just as hard :smirk: but it should keep you warm for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.