Watchout for that Tiger Mosquito and the Chikungunya virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vinny11950

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2010
Eastern Long Island, NY
I have been seeing more of Tiger Mosquitoes in Eastern Long Island at my parents place. They hunt all day and are very aggressive.

http://boingboing.net/2014/07/17/its-only-a-matter-of-time-be.html

"So what changed? The sudden spread of chikungunya seems to be related to two things. First, the virus itself mutated. The strain that's spreading around the world is different from the one that hung around sub-Saharan Africa. Specifically, it's much more efficient at replicating itself in the guts of mosquitoes. That seems to have increased both its ability to move into new places and its ability to be carried by different species of mosquito.

That last bit is important because it ties in with the other reason chikungunya is suddenly global. The mutated virus is following in the footsteps of an invasive mosquito that spread around the world years before. The Asian tiger mosquitoAedes albopictus — has a wider range than other species that can carry chikungunya. And that mutation in the chikungunya virus made it a much better vector for chikungunya than it was in the past. Bring the mutation and the invasive mosquito together, and you have a recipe for the global spread of a virus — including its spread into the United States."

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...ates_cdc_and_other_experts_worried_about.html

"Adding to the reasons for alarm is the fact that chikungunya doesn’t need a reservoir—it can be spread directly from one human host to another. This is in contrast with several other mosquito-borne pathogens, including West Nile virus, which needs to replicate inside a bird before it can pass from a mosquito to a human. The special characteristics of tiger mosquitoes once again exacerbate the problem—these particular mosquitoes prefer feeding off of, and living close to, humans. (Many mosquitoes, in contrast, feed opportunistically on humans, while primarily targeting other animals.) Tiger mosquitoes are also daytime feeders, which means that while other species are taking a break, preferring to feed at dawn or twilight, the tigers keep chomping during the times of day when humans are most active."

good article, Dana B. i am just amazed at how these viruses mutate to find better ways to spread themselves, grow their populations. even though they are pieces of DNA only, the way they spread through opportunity and finding the right conditions is pretty amazing because it points to some kind of intelligence which we know is not there, at least in the way we have come to understand intelligence as coming from a brain.

i think that in a world dominated by humans, where we can kill all big predators that threaten us, the only other creatures that can challenge us are ones that can evolve quickly, mutate, and reproduce in large numbers. we can kill millions of them but they just evolve and overcome.

it is the little things that can withstand us. nature is evolving around us.

Scary stuff. Those tiger mosquitos are bad enough by themselves...most mosquito bites just irritate me, but those tiger blood suckers hurt!!

My son gotten bitten by a tick last summer and had the bulls eye rash. They gave him some medication that he had to take for three weeks and said they he would not actually have Lyme disease if he took.

I believe my state, NH is the number one state in the country for Lyme disease. It's also a great state to enjoy an outdoor lifestyle in. Just have to check yourself and the little ones when you come in from the great outdoors.

Since it has been a very wet cool year and I live near a swamp those buggers are in force here. I hope that virus doesn't get in my neck of the woods or I will be up the creek without a paddle. Here they are thick as gnats and they get you no matter the time, the second you walk out the door you are swarmed. It has been getting a little better since the dragon flies hatched, but without a good heat wave without rain for a week or 2 it won't get any better. Deep Woods Off gives a person about a half hour of fair protection. You will still get stitched by 5 or 6 of them but it is tolerable. Go out without any protection and within a half hour you look like a pin cushion.

As for ticks they are bold enough to walk into your house through any cracks. They hang on above the door and drop onto you when you walk out. (Note: Trees are not hanging over my house and are probably loaded at least 10 yards away. Been a good year if you are a blood sucker.

Since it has been a very wet cool year and I live near a swamp those buggers are in force here. I hope that virus doesn't get in my neck of the woods or I will be up the creek without a paddle. Here they are thick as gnats and they get you no matter the time, the second you walk out the door you are swarmed. It has been getting a little better since the dragon flies hatched, but without a good heat wave without rain for a week or 2 it won't get any better. Deep Woods Off gives a person about a half hour of fair protection. You will still get stitched by 5 or 6 of them but it is tolerable. Go out without any protection and within a half hour you look like a pin cushion.

As for ticks they are bold enough to walk into your house through any cracks. They hang on above the door and drop onto you when you walk out. (Note: Trees are not hanging over my house and are probably loaded at least 10 yards away. Been a good year if you are a blood sucker.

Wow, that sounds rough, MishMouse. Don't know if I could take it. I am allergic to mosquito bites and usually the bites get red and itchy and take about 10 days to clear up, if I am controlled enough not to scratch.

Anyway, get ready for the Genetically Modified mosquitoes. Who knows what will happen.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/25/brazil-genetically-modified-mosquitoes_n_5618014.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/when-mutant-mosquitoes-attack.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Status
Not open for further replies.