Water coming out of chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

niteshiftfromkc

Hearth Supporter
Dec 6, 2009
Belton, MO
I have had this problem off and on for some time, when I turn the stove down for the night, I get a puddle of black creosote water coming out of the chimney at what looks to be a soot clean out. I am using an Englander stove, an 8 inch pipe coming out of the stove and into the free standing chimney (3'x3') with an 8" square clay liner, the chimney is approximately 33 feet tall. I had the chimney sweep come out and clean it, but because he thought he was at the bottom, he didn't get it done all the way. Since I wasn't getting a good draft and able to get the fire burning very hot, I bought a brush and poles to sweep it myself, and broke through a large crust of creosote near the point that the stove connects into the chimney. (for some reason, my liner has an offset in it)

My questions are:

What can I do to keep this water from coming out of the chimney?

What is causing this water? The oak that I am burning doesn't seem to be very green.

I don't have a thermometer yet, but when I do, should I put it on the flue pipe just as it enters the chimney? What temp should I keep it at?

Thanks for the help,
Niteshift

Hello from the other side of the state line and welcome to the forum. The water you mention is a byproduct of combustion. Even if the wood was 100% dry, you'd still be making water according to the equation:

HC's (hydrocarbons) + O2 (oxygen) --> H2O (here is the water) + CO2

I suspect when you turn the stove down, there is a point in the flue which falls below ~212F and when that happens, the water from combustion can condense and run back down. I can't quite picture the set-up in my head, but some things to look for:

-If possible, align the joints so any dripping creosote/water is funneled into the next section. This would be a 'female' on the bottom, 'male' on top sort of arrangement

-Seal the joint with some stove cement.

The thermometer will work, though what you really care about is the temp way at the top of the flue. If it is cool enough to let water conense, this will create your problem. You may eventually build up knowledge of "if the flue thermometer is below XX and it's colder than YY outside, I'm going to have the creosote problem.

cozy heat said:
I can't quite picture the set-up in my head, but some things to look for:

-If possible, align the joints so any dripping creosote/water is funneled into the next section. This would be a 'female' on the bottom, 'male' on top sort of arrangement...
I can picture it. Masonry chimney, clay liner. You need dryer wood or a hotter fire. If there is lots of humidity in the room, an OAK can help by supplying dry outside air.

Do you have a chimney cap? Could be water running down to your cleanout picking up the soot and creosote on the way.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Todd, yes I do have a chimney cap. LLigetfa, you say an OAK can help, but since I am a newbie to this board, what does that mean?

Niteshift

OAK = Outside Air Kit

Outside air is generally dry, indoor air often humid. Humid air drawn into the stove can condense in a cold flue and drip back as liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.