Water in clean out tee

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nvnv

Nov 6, 2016
NV
I was gone for the last week on vacation. Came home and before starting up the pellet stove I went and pulled the cap off my clean out tee to make sure everything was clear. The cap was almost full with water. I have my vent going out the wall from the stove then the tee is outside the house and then up three feet to the weather cap.

Could the water just be from condensation and from not using it? All my connections are sealed with silicone and I don't see how water could get up through the weather cap. Is it possible to drill a tiny drain hole so this doesn't happen again?

You probably have a leaking pipe seam, If you have an elbow at the top of your pipe it's probably one of those seams that allow the elbow to twist.

I was gone for the last week on vacation. Came home and before starting up the pellet stove I went and pulled the cap off my clean out tee to make sure everything was clear. The cap was almost full with water. I have my vent going out the wall from the stove then the tee is outside the house and then up three feet to the weather cap.

Could the water just be from condensation and from not using it? All my connections are sealed with silicone and I don't see how water could get up through the weather cap. Is it possible to drill a tiny drain hole so this doesn't happen again?

That's basically how my stoves are plumbed, and when I had that issue a few weeks ago, it was because of high winds and heavy rain. My spruce trees cause a wind turbulence behind them that was sending rain near horizontal at the side of the house and into the chimney outlet. Rain cap did'nt know how to deal with horizontal rain.

You probably have a leaking pipe seam, If you have an elbow at the top of your pipe it's probably one of those seams that allow the elbow to twist.

I'm thinking this might be it. I went at it with the foil tape today on the seams of the top elbow and the weather cap. I'll keep an eye on it and see if that helps.