water storage question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vipertec

Nov 8, 2010
NE,PA.
I want to add storage tanks to my eshland wood boiler.I have acquired two compressor tanks recently but the are different in size.One is 5 1/2 ft by 24 inch diameter and the other is 5 foot by 20 inch.Can i use these tanks together?Also can i use a large well pressure tank for expansion tank .I have access to a roughly 85 gallon well tank.thanks in advance

How are you intending to pipe up the storage tanks? Horizontal or vertical? Depending on their configuration and the tappings for connections, you can probably make it work. A sketch would help.

I think that the idea of using a well tank was discussed here previously, and you can probably make it work if you make sure that the tank isnt seeing the high temps of your storage. Maybe if you put it at the end of a long run of 1/2" piping or used some fin tube in that piping leg.

You can use the compressor tanks together, and together they are about 63 gallons of water; not much storage but I suppose every little bit helps. If the well tank is a bladder tank, I would not use it. Otherwise as long as it is rated at something above the pressure release point of your system, should be OK. All tanks should be cleaned well before using, as there may be lots of gunk in them. All in all, it seems to me to be a lot of plumbing work and expense to cobble together a bunch of small tanks for a little bit of storage. What purpose do you want the storage to accomplish?

jebatty said:
You can use the compressor tanks together, and together they are about 63 gallons of water

For easy figuring assume hemispherical ends.

Code:
You have: ((4/3) * pi * ((12 inch)^3)) + (3.5 ft * pi * ((12 inch)^2))
You want: gallon

You have: ((4/3) * pi * ((10 inch)^3)) + (40 inch * pi * ((10 inch)^2))
You want: gallon

I could be wrong but i do believe the tanks are larger then 63 gallons.my measurements are aprroximate.The one tank is large 3 phase compressor tank and twice the size of my home 60 gallon compressor.I plan to place tanks vertical.If a well tank is not ok to use could I use and old expansion tank mounted high and unpressurized or possibly 2 20 gallon expansion tanks together pressurized?thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.