1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Waterford Stanley maintenance

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by ray milosh, Jan 4, 2013.

1. ray milosh

ray milosh New Member

Hi all,
    I have a 1993 Waterford Stanley. i have used it for 8 years for cooking, heating the water and heating the house. (The house is small, well insulated and has solar features, too..that's why I am able to heat it with such a small firebox). I live in central North Carolina.
    For the past few years, smoke seeps from under the left side of the cooktop on startup or if i damp it down too much. I have unsucessfully attempted to caulk it from the inside.

I hestitate to pulll it all apart and redo everything, primarily because it works fine otherwise and I lack experience with disassembling and reassembling this stove.

I wonder if that's the only way to fix it or if there is a simpler way. Anybody have any experience/advice/people I could call to ask questions?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. A1Stoves.com

A1Stoves.com Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    if you are sure the chimney is clean, then yes- its time to take the inside of the stove apart to clean the baffle.

some waterford stoves have a removable cast top to access stove top bolts- to clean top of baffle
    others came apart from inside- warped or damaged parts can make this hard! sometimes easier to pull the flue pipe and clean thru the flue collar.

luck :)