Watts up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kbjelka

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2008
Western CT
Borrowed a Watts up power meter we had kicking around the office. I wanted to see what I could run off my new Honda EU2000i generator.

Here's the approximate peak values for my Quadra-Fire Castile stove...

Startup\Ignition - 380 Watts

Running
low - 70 Watts
med - 80 Watts
High - 100 Watts

Here's a link to the meter used...

http://www.smarthome.com/9055/Watts-Up-Power-Meter/p.aspx

These numbers are also useful in determining UPS sizing which is what it was purchased for at work.

Great post GroundHog. I always wanted to know how many Watts my Breckwell P22 needed for Startup and Running. I will ask try and find one of these from some electricians that come to my job to do wiring work often. I have a Husky 5000 Generator so I should be fine on running my stove.

Groundhog said:
Borrowed a Watts up power meter we had kicking around the office. I wanted to see what I could run off my new Honda EU2000i generator.

StartupIgnition - 380 Watts

Running
low - 70 Watts
med - 80 Watts
High - 100 Watts

These numbers are also useful in determining UPS sizing which is what it was purchased for at work.

Just remember that those small, light weight generators use an inverter ; meaning that they produce more of
a "square" wave than a true "sine" wave. I wouldn't run my "delicate" electronics off of them; ie: plasma or eLED
TV, but your stove uses more motors then electronics; feed auger; exhaust fan....

They are basically an UPS without the battery, but a small 2 cycle motor instead.

KatWill said:
Great post GroundHog. I always wanted to know how many Watts my Breckwell P22 needed for Startup and Running. I will ask try and find one of these from some electricians that come to my job to do wiring work often. I have a Husky 5000 Generator so I should be fine on running my stove.

Thanks KatWill, your 5000 watt will probably run the whole house. Search for "kill-a-watt" on ebay and you can get a similar meter for around $20 shipped.

Groundhog, I just searched the Home Depot's site and they have something similar called Kill A Watt for like $22. It good to know how much any given appliance uses. I can use it to show my kids how NOT turning off the lights and TVs and other appliances makes "Santa" not get them a good Xmass gift. LOL.

PJF1313 said:
Groundhog said:

StartupIgnition - 380 Watts

Running
low - 70 Watts
med - 80 Watts
High - 100 Watts

Just remember that those small, light weight generators use an inverter ; meaning that they produce more of
a "square" wave than a true "sine" wave. I wouldn't run my "delicate" electronics off of them; ie: plasma or eLED
TV, but your stove uses more motors then electronics; feed auger; exhaust fan....

They are basically an UPS without the battery, but a small 2 cycle motor instead.

Actually Honda boasts a sine wave equal to or better than the current from your household power.

From Honda literature...

"Honda engineers developed a revolutionary form of inverter technology. This process takes the raw power produced by the generator, passes it through a special microprocessor that provides ultra-clean power that boasts a sine wave equal to or better than the current from your household AC wall outlet."

I think the small home cheapo variety generators are risky for electronics but the little Honda's are rock solid.

KatWill said:
PJF1313, you woudlnt run your stove on a generator?

Heck YES!!

BUT, ain't there always!, I have an old, old old smoke dragon (pre 1990 and possibly pre 1970's stove)

I do have a 22 Kw diesel(bio) for a "whole house" back-up for the dang oil boiler, and DHW.

Status
Not open for further replies.