Ways to increase heating ability

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bushels20

Feeling the Heat
May 20, 2018
OH
Hello All,

New here and first post. I’m looking for ways this summer and fall to increase the heat output of my Napoleon 1101. I have been heating with wood for 5 years, so I’m through the learning curve at this point. Not a veteran, but have a good winter routine and can keep my 2,000 square foot split level home in Ohio plenty warm during the day and comfortable enough through he nights.

I’m wondering if there are any ways to increase the heat output of my Napoleon 1101 insert (with blower). Last winter I bought and tried out an EcoFan. While it worked as described and a cool concept, I did not notice any heat out put differential when used in conjunction with the blower. This could have been my own fault as I set it atop the insert with little to no room for cool air draw from behind (because of the surround).

Some ideas I have: larger blower install? Surround the insert (that’s inside the old fireplace and covered by a surround) with fire brick to maintain/hold the heat as opposed to letting it suck straight up the chimney. Are these bad ideas? Waste of time? Any other suggestions? I’ve considered fans in the doorways, but don’t like the idea of electric cords and the Mrs. definitely does not.

Appreciate the suggestions.

JB

Don't forget the other end of it - making more of the heat you have - windows, doors, air leaks, and insulation especially in the ceiling.

Hello All,

New here and first post. I’m looking for ways this summer and fall to increase the heat output of my Napoleon 1101. I have been heating with wood for 5 years, so I’m through the learning curve at this point. Not a veteran, but have a good winter routine and can keep my 2,000 square foot split level home in Ohio plenty warm during the day and comfortable enough through he nights.

I’m wondering if there are any ways to increase the heat output of my Napoleon 1101 insert (with blower). Last winter I bought and tried out an EcoFan. While it worked as described and a cool concept, I did not notice any heat out put differential when used in conjunction with the blower. This could have been my own fault as I set it atop the insert with little to no room for cool air draw from behind (because of the surround).

Some ideas I have: larger blower install? Surround the insert (that’s inside the old fireplace and covered by a surround) with fire brick to maintain/hold the heat as opposed to letting it suck straight up the chimney. Are these bad ideas? Waste of time? Any other suggestions? I’ve considered fans in the doorways, but don’t like the idea of electric cords and the Mrs. definitely does not.

Appreciate the suggestions.

JB
Do you have an insulated block off plate and insulation around the insert in the fireplace?

Don't forget the other end of it - making more of the heat you have - windows, doors, air leaks, and insulation especially in the ceiling.

Thank you. New Andersen windows in 2016 and 20 inches (for a total depth of 28 inches) of new blown insulation in all 3 attics in 2017. All good on those fronts.

Do you have an insulated block off plate and insulation around the insert in the fireplace?

I do not. All I have is the stove inserted Into the firebox of the old fireplace and a flemsy (aesthetic) surround that goes around the insert. There is a lot of empty space around the insert itself while sitting inside the firebox.

You’re putting a fixed BTU load into the firebox. Your only way of increasing heat output is to increase your burn rate. Fans and blowers do not increase heat output, they only help with moving the hot air around.

Increased heat output = faster burn rate = reduced burn time. This is what leads folks to larger stoves.

You’re putting a fixed BTU load into the firebox. Your only way of increasing heat output is to increase your burn rate. Fans and blowers do not increase heat output, they only help with moving the hot air around.

Increased heat output = faster burn rate = reduced burn time. This is what leads folks to larger stoves.
That is very true but if you are loosing heat up the chimney or through the back wall of the fp by redirecting that heat you can increase the useable heat in the house.

Reactions: Ashful
That is very true but if you are loosing heat up the chimney or through the back wall of the fp by redirecting that heat you can increase the useable heat in the house.

Bholler, you are thinking along the same lines as me. I am getting plenty of heat from the insert, both off the glass and from the blower. I just know that I can make the stove more efficient (may be incorrectly applying that term). I mean more efficient by keeping more of the heat I am already producing.

Ashful, I see your point. My issue isn’t lack of heat, just want to keep more of it and make the most of what I am producing.

That said, Bholler, are suggesting I insulate the surround and behind the insert? I can do that no problem. Haven’t even thought of it until you asked the previous question.
JB

Last edited by a moderator:
Fans and blowers do not increase heat output, they only help with moving the hot air around.

Sure they can. Depends on the exact situation. I suspect if the OP turned off his insert blower, more of his heat would go up the chimney instead of into the house. Therefore that fan increases heat output. The limiting factor is you would not want to lower the amount heat going up the chimney to the point it would affect the burn efficiency and build creosote, along with not keeping the exhaust going up & out.

Sure they can. Depends on the exact situation. I suspect if the OP turned off his insert blower, more of his heat would go up the chimney instead of into the house. Therefore that fan increases heat output. The limiting factor is you would not want to lower the amount heat going up the chimney to the point it would affect the burn efficiency and build creosote, along with not keeping the exhaust going up & out.

You’re right. By stripping more heat from the insert with better blowers you can increase the burn rate without overfiring it. Increased burn rate means more btu.

So yes, fans and blowers can increase heat output.

You’re right. By stripping more heat from the insert with better blowers you can increase the burn rate without overfiring it. Increased burn rate means more btu.

So yes, fans and blowers can increase heat output.

So does anyone have any insight in the idea of Insulating the insert itself form within the firebox? If so, what kind of insulation? Research online seems to reveal the ceramic insulation that (appears) ideal for this is o lay up to 2 inches or so thick. Is this enough? Multiple layers?

So does anyone have any insight in the idea of Insulating the insert itself form within the firebox? If so, what kind of insulation? Research online seems to reveal the ceramic insulation that (appears) ideal for this is o lay up to 2 inches or so thick. Is this enough? Multiple layers?
Is this an exterior or interior fireplace and chimney?

Is this an exterior or interior fireplace and chimney?

Exterior chimney on the North side of the home. Split level home and he insert/fireplace is below grade by 4-5 feet so the actual firebox is 4-5 below grade as well. Photo attached if that helps. From where the photo is taken, I am below ground level if that makes any sense. The windows in said room start at chest level.

I do not have a block plate (which I did some reading about this morning). I assume that in conjunction with insulating, the block plate is needed as well.

Attachments

• Ways to increase heating ability
    811DD6D0-AFB6-417A-BFC6-3424A4AB8DE4.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 175
Yes, insulate above the block-off plate and behind the insert. Kaowool ceramic insulation or Roxul mineral insulation will both work.

Reactions: Highbeam
Yes, insulate above the block-off plate and behind the insert. Kaowool ceramic insulation or Roxul mineral insulation will both work.

Great, thank you.

Given I do not have a block plate, what is the best route to get one? Make it myself? Buy one? Have my local shop come out?

Have any of you had any experience with the idea of using Durock/cement board instead of sheet metal as your block plate? Some other threads seem to indicate that lining the firebox with a layer of Roxol and then covering it with cement board is a good idea. Obviously not a safety issue (if true cement board), but is that overkill?

Sheet metal is easier to work with for many and to form an L lip by which to attach the b-o plate. It can be installed in two overlapping pieces for existing installs.