Ways to make adjustable elbows more smoketight?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burn-1

Feeling the Heat
Jul 13, 2006
Lakes Region, NH
I finished installing my Hearthstone Phoenix and used some furnace cement on the stovepipe joints when I connected it but the adjustable elbows seem to leak a bit of smoke, a slight smell only but the Mrs. isn't crazy about the 'old woodstove smell'. I also put some furnace cement around the stove collar where the pipe goes into the stove but it doesn't seem feasible to do that with the adjustable sections. If anyone has ideas or comments they are appreciated.

are you getting enough draft? You shouldnt have to be patching pipes. There should be no smell. Its kind of a tell tell sign that something is wrong with the chimney.
You can band aid it with furnace cement.

MountainStoveGuy said:
are you getting enough draft? You shouldnt have to be patching pipes. There should be no smell. Its kind of a tell tell sign that something is wrong with the chimney.
You can band aid it with furnace cement.

agreed. The flue should PULL the smoke from the box. The woodstove doesn't "push" the smoke into the flue.

Due to having played with my Heritage stove pipe setup several times over, I've got two adjustable pieces, several old holes, and two piece adjustable pipe sections. No smoke comes out of any of it. Yours has to be more draft related. What's your setup like? I think the Phoenix needs close to what the Heritage does.

Status
Not open for further replies.