WD 40 on Jotul Rockland fan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotul_Rockland

Hearth Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
Connecticut
The right side blower in my Jotul Rockland was dusty and the motor stopped working. I cleaned it with a brush and it runs sometimes or if I give it a start with a finger. What can I do to clean the fan? How about WD 40

Sounds like the bearing is dry. A little wd40 on the shaft might work for a short while but it may take getting oil into the felt if it's a sleeve bearing motor or replacing the bearing.

WD will cut grime and is good for cleaning but a light machine oil would be better for final oiling.

yep wd isnt really a long term lubrication. get some light oil on that thing and it will probably run for years.

Yes, WD is a penetrating fluid. Any lubrication will be short term. Oil on the motor shaft may not penetrate the shaft seal. It needs to get to the bearing or bearing reservoir or felt. Some motors have an oil hole for this purpose, but more commonly I find I need to drill one in the location of the felt. Not sure about Jotul blower motor construction to know if it's a sleeve or ball bearing motor.

I had the fans out a year or so ago and I could not find oil holes that I recall. The bearings are sealed and good quality. I blew them off, gave them a thorough cleaning and lubricated as best I could with machine oil. Not sure how much oil gets to the innards of the bearings since they are sealed. Main thing is to keep them clean, free of ash and pet hair etc.

How about some marvel mystery Oil... I have a ton of that stuff, and wondered if it would be good as a lubricant... I've used it on ton's of stuff and it works like the cat's meow

Status
Not open for further replies.