We-llll I'm Settling On A Stove !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hiskid

Sep 26, 2017
PA
After hours of searching/reading I'm considering getting a Castle Serenity. Seems all the more affordable/available and close by ones seem to be the England brand. I checked reviews and they seem to be more problems/cleaning issues than other stoves.The well known expensive brands are still expensive used.I know you usually get what you pay for. I found a working Thiel parlor stove(2006) for $500 with piping. I'm waiting on pix from the guy. A guy has a Big E used is wanting $800. Right now all within 4 miles Tractor supply($799), Ace($799) and HD($999). TSC has a neighbor discount and invited me to their store card which has 12 mo no interest option. Couple seconds later a retired old man is approved for $4500. Waiting for a tempting % off email for first order.

As for the Serenity it is pretty compact. I would like to center it under that window. The manual shows a straight out vent it would be setting above river pebbles that cover the concrete overflow. in would vent in a sheltered SW corner. If I outside air vent I an get an 18" distance to the window it is a well sealed double pane slider. The porch heats up nice after 9 AM so I'm hoping the thermostat option would help with of that. Thanks for any help and/or suggestions from owners.

Last but not least. I know this isn't the best time to stock on pellets but do any of these three places
have a good brand of pellet. To any owners: How many pellets does the stove use on low in 8-10 hours.

GBY

Attachments

• NCM_0044.JPG
    NCM_0044.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Reactions: Deezl Smoke
Good choice on a Serenity, just to make you aware though in case you don't know the Serenity on thermostat mode does not shut down it just drops to low when set temp. Is reached. Once you have the stove up and running get a few bags of pellets from each store and see what burns best for you. On low the Serenity will burn about a half bag in 10 hrs.

Good choice on a Serenity, just to make you aware though in case you don't know the Serenity on thermostat mode does not shut down it just drops to low when set temp. Is reached. Once you have the stove up and running get a few bags of pellets from each store and see what burns best for you. On low the Serenity will burn about a half bag in 10 hrs.

Is there any way to control it other than manually shut it off as soon as the sun takes over ?

Unfortunately not really unless you set a scheduled program around the sun.

Yes can be programmed for every day of the week.

It shuts down. So you can program the stove to shutdown at say 9 am. Then relight at 5 pm., You can program it to do so every day or set different times for different days.

Last edited:
Hopefully you will be another happy owner of a Serenity.
Buy a couple bags of several pellet brands before you stock up. Get the stove "broke in" then monitor each pellet type for a couple bags and see which one you like best. Some pellets leave a much higher ash and residue to clean, others burn faster or burn cooler etc. Once you find a pellet that seems to burn clean and that you know you can get more of any time you wish, set the stove up for that pellet and try to only use that pellet. That will make life pretty easy when you are not constantly resetting the stove for a different pellet. I am at the other end of the nation and we have a lot of fir wood here. I am running a 100% douglas fir pellet, and set the stoves for that pellet. I am a happy camper.