Weekend is almost here. Quick morning scrounge.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hills Hoard

Minister of Fire
Mar 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Started my Friday morning with a quick wood scrounge. The first pic shows where the local arborists dump the wood. Most weeks there is something to scrounge, so this morning I just took a few cuts of wood and left the rest for someone else to take.

I'm I might have an outdoor fire on tomorrow, but this sunday is going to be wet cold and wet so I will have the indoor fire blazing!

Anyone else have scrounging or a burn planned? dumped hoard.jpgfriday hoard.jpg

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
Looks like two different types of wood--Any idea what they are?

Where abouts did you find this? always looking for fresh sites........

Here's one in Olinda which i have turned down as it was shocking access ~ 15 steps over three levels. Its a beautiful oak tree and there is heaps. About three times this much.

Oak.jpg

nice find auzzie, shame about the access! might be worth it if you had the time to take your time and take it casually.

i work just off the monash freeway in malvern. There is a company called arborco a few hundred meters down the road. They dump wood from jobs as well as mulch for people to take. Lucky for me I drive past the dumping site every afternoon so most of the time I spot the wood within hours. As i said earlier I just take a few little bits here and there and am building up quite a nice pile at home...

Sounds similar to me - there is a place on my way home ~ 2 km from home where a firm drops off a few rounds. I think i have scored ~ 10 times in a year. i just fill the ute up once although they had some very nice Blackwood the other week and i managed to get 3 loads before the rest of the scavenges got the rest :mad: its one of my favourite woods so easy to split and it looks nice too.

We should start a map of dumping grounds. I read about a guy in nunawading that dumps wood on Canterbury road near terara road but the council was starting to get a bit annoyed.

Sounds like you both have some easy pickings.
If like here, lots of competition for fire wood?

I usually don't get many scrounges, the birch is usually sold or the owner uses it.
I seem to get a few spruce scrounges (pine)
Usually lots of poplars (cottonwood & aspen) scrounges but not many takers.

Had a fire pit burn today, testing some misfits & uglies from some 1 year birch,
no sizzling but not real dry yet

Stay warm ;)

Sounds like you both have some easy pickings.
If like here, lots of competition for fire wood?

I usually don't get many scrounges, the birch is usually sold or the owner uses it.
I seem to get a few spruce scrounges (pine)
Usually lots of poplars (cottonwood & aspen) scrounges but not many takers.

Had a fire pit burn today, testing some misfits & uglies from some 1 year birch,
no sizzling but not real dry yet

Stay warm ;)

I seem to get more competition for wood the colder it gets. During summer there were loads of easy scrounges i made sure i got all i could. As soon as it gets cold people start to think about heating their home and start looking for wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.