Weekend Work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Stacked 3 face cord from the rest of the wood from the load of logs back in February, the man said I should get 8-10 face cord and the actual count was 11 face cord.

I still have some uglies or short pieces from the load I have to do something with. Picture 100_1663 is from the stacking done on Saturday and 100_1666 is from today finishing the two face cord and the last three pictures are from the new setup for stacking four face cord in that area.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1663.jpg
    100_1663.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 346
  • 100_1666.jpg
    100_1666.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 342
  • 100_1669.jpg
    100_1669.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 336
  • 100_1672.jpg
    100_1672.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 323
  • 100_1673-1.jpg
    100_1673-1.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 346
Pagey have you had to use the Endeavor yet?

zap

zapny said:
Pagey have you had to use the Endeavor yet?

zap

We've had a handful of small pine fires in the mornings. We had a couple of cold fronts come through and cool things off for a few days, but just as quickly we're back into the upper 70s and lower 80s. I'm scared to think how my wood will behave this winter with full loads. It's been a while since we've had a summer and fall this hot. It just will NOT let up. To tell you how bored I am, I just ran the brush down the Class A even though I did I pre-season brushing/inspection back in Sept.

The old hay barn is overflowing with wood. I've run out of places to store it indoors. Dad keeps showing up with beetle-kill pine, though. And he took down a walnut at my grandmother's over the weekend. Eventually it will get cold, I keep telling myself.

We had a real dry summer but a chit load of rain since September, are you in the drought area in the south?

zap

I don't know if we are "officially" in a drought, but I don't see how we're not. A man could drop a cigarette butt right now and burn down half the mountain. Last year was just the opposite: cool and very damp. This hear we might the 90s in May and never looked back. We're still running 10-12F above normal.

Zap do you own stock in a fence post company? ;-)

Shipper

You are getting very close to needing drug treatment for this zap. You are beyond the ability of normal therapy to help. :lol:

You have Quads buried in the recliner mumbling to his self.

BrotherBart said:
You are getting very close to needing drug treatment for this zap. You are beyond the ability of normal therapy to help. :lol:

You have Quads buried in the recliner mumbling to his self.

I'm thinking that Quads has got me beat by 2-3 years on the wood but I'm ahead in the mumbling. :coolsmirk:

zap

wood spliter said:
Zap, is all you wood stacked in one area or do you stack where you buck it?

I buck and split it up in the woods then haul it to the house then stack it on the north side and east side. Last year I left it in the woods stacked all over the place, never again unless I run out of room by the house.

zap

I'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere, but exactly how much do you have C/S/S, Zap?

Pagey said:
I'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere, but exactly how much do you have C/S/S, Zap?

About 54-55 face cord stacked with another 5 up in the woods, starting Monday afternoon I'm hauling sugar maple out then stack up on the north side. Once I finish stacking three more face cord on the north side I'll start bucking up the beech and sugar maple we found today.

zap

zapny said:
About 54-55 face cord stacked with another 5 up in the woods, starting Monday afternoon I'm hauling sugar maple out then stack up on the north side. Once I finish stacking three more face cord on the north side I'll start bucking up the beech and sugar maple we found today.

zap

You don't have a day job, do you?

zapny said:
Pagey said:

zap

Dang it, Thought I was doing pretty good with the 45 or so I've got put up. Guess it's time to get crackin'!
2nd thought,.....nah! :coolsmile:
Oh, and, just wondering, do you run a stringline when you stack? Those sure are straight. I think they dry faster that way. :cheese:

Zap,

You are crazy!! Holy cow, I bet you could charge admission to your yard to see those wood runs!

Now I have to get out there today and keep c/s/s'ing. I have a little longer than a football field stacked and I was feeling pretty good about myself.....not anymore though!

PapaDave I just make sure the rows are 15 inches apart and some what level then I start stacking, I'll check from the end when stacking just to make sure it's not leaning oneway or another.

zap

firewoodjunky, a little longer than a football field, just how much wood is that? Seems like that would be a good amount of wood.

zap

zapny said:
I just make sure the rows are 15 inches apart and some what level then I start stacking

lol, your spread looks like it was designed by a landscape architect, laid out by satellite and verified by a team on the ground with a transit and 6 foot level.

SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:
I just make sure the rows are 15 inches apart and some what level then I start stacking

lol, your spread looks like it was designed by a landscape architect, laid out by satellite and verified by a team on the ground with a transit and 6 foot level.

Blame it on hearth.com, I do! :coolgrin:

zap

Zap,

I have to correct myself, I meant to put 1/2 of a football field. My bad! It comes out to 7.57 cords according to the calculator. I have about 4 more or so to go and then I figured I would post a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.